VERY CONFUSED
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leedxmg
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2013 :  22:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so around august I bought a thought to be breeding pair of corn snakes, both of correct weight and age. The supposed female is way past the 300g mark and the supposed male is just pushing a few grams off 300 after being in brumation. I introduced the two last night and noticed almost instantly that the huge 'female' was acting like a male in the sense that he/she was trying to move on top of the smaller 'male' and chasing it round the tank while the 'male' was running away.. This led me to believe that the previous owner had told me the sexes the wrong way round and instead of having a huge female and a small male I think I now have a huge male and a small female. I also realised that the big 'female' kept lifting her/his tail in the air and bunching up his body so it was rising off of the ground in a wavy type motion.. I'm just wondering if by any of these signs anybody out there can tell me which ones the male and female because I have no idea how to sex and dont want to hurt them.. Also if the big 'female' is a male and the small 'male is female shall I still go ahead breeding?
HELP D:

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2013 :  23:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would go to a rep shop or vet and get them probed. If the smaller is the female she's too small to breed. Your better waiting til next year. As for behaviour I have never bred corns so someone else can answer that x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2013 :  10:25:06  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The lifting of the tail sounds to me like flagging, its what the female does to tell the male she's ready

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Leedxmg
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2013 :  19:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

The lifting of the tail sounds to me like flagging, its what the female does to tell the male she's ready

Mmm the bigger one is still chasing the supposed male, and lifting his/her tail, maybe it is a female but just super ready pahaha
Go to Top of Page

LukeW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2013 :  19:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tbh the bigger one does sound like a female as Scaly said, maybe she is trying to seduce the smaller male by chasing him etc :p

Female normal - Cyrus (can't think of a girl name :p)

Male charcoal - Midnight

Female amel - Lilly

Female CB13 anery 100% het sunkissed - Ariel.

Male CB13 fire 100% het stripe, 50% het hypo, anery and lavender

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000