New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2013 :  16:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kali has just had her first shed of the year and is acting a bit strange. She's been eating like a pig for the last month, constricting her mice so much that she's snapped spines and popped them... od.

s always been a good feeder but not this good.

I thought maybe it was a breeding season thing because she suddenly seems very curious about Apollo who lives in the viv below her. When I have him out, she is coming up to the glass and flicking her tongue in his direction a lot as if trying to scent him. Is she looking for a mate?

Apollo is blue at the moment but he isn't even in a hide. Could it be that he is sensing pheromones Kali is giving off? He's been so active recently and acting like an interested male.

What behaviours do you normally see at breeding season? Is it still a bit early for it?

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2013 :  19:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the breeding season theory would make sense. I've been reading up everywhere, as my Bazilishka is behaving weird, too - and the Kathy Love book ( yes, sorry about that again ) says that females feed really well after hibernation ( I know you probably didn't hibernate, but they'll still know it's spring ). They put on weight really easily, and many semi mature youngsters suddenly start growing fast and putting on weight, possibly to be ready, in case they get a chance to breed.

Little T is only 18 months, but is really interested in all the places where Baz has been, when I handle him. He stops and tongue flics the place for ages, completely rooted to the spot. Baz keeps shedding every 41 days or so ( is over 2 years old now ), and seems to alternate bulking up and not growing and not eating that well, with staying slim and growing and eating ravenously....

I'm putting it down to the time of the year :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2013 :  21:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got the Kathy Love book too. It's so useful

It is the theory which made the most sense to me too and Kali has put on 40g (she's only normally a 330g snake so that's quite a lot) in about a month even though I haven't changed her feeding regime. I haven't brumated any of my snakes this year as I wasn't planning to breed until next year. Apollo is only a few months older than your Little T and is behaving in a very similar way. I wonder if he would be capable of producing me some little hatchies this year...

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Edited by - Moppet on 18/02/2013 21:19:00
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2013 :  19:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, I was very, very tempted to let my two breed, too. I know Baz is only going to turn 3 this year, but she is well over the minimum breeding size and weight, and several people said she could breed easily... I'm so tempted to see, what her and Little T's hatchlings would look like. The only reason ( couple of ) I haven't done it is that she still isn't 3, and I also know I'll be having two separate weeks away this summer ( and will be breaking in my young horse, too ).

I think at 18 months, the males are fully capable of breeding if big enough ( so Apollo probably would ;-) ). But as for my two, I think I missed Baz being ready, she shed recently and is slim and eating again, so that's that. Next year :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2013 :  22:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that people do breed younger and fairly commonly breed females of the same age as your Baz but I think it's different when it is your own snake and you really want the best for them. Sounds like you'll have your hands full with your horse too

Kali is 5 this year and has bred before (16 good eggs, 16 healthy hatchlings) and even though she's a smallish female, she's still over the minimum. I don't know whether she will be up for it really, the only sure way would be to put them together and see. It is very tempting. I planned to put them together next year for sure.

The only thing that worries me about Apollo is his size. He's not very big for his age, not reached 200g yet but he's doing all the right behaviours and is still eating like normal (hoover...). I'm thinking I might stick them together and see what happens. If he's big enough to get the job done then great, I'll get an incubator and prepare for eggs and hatchies (I know I could find homes for them, if not immediately then I would happily keep them for as long as necessary). If Kali and Apollo aren't willing, then I will wait 'til next year too.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  09:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck Moppet, not sure on the advice for when to breed males, I just know they are OK a bit younger/smaller than females. Do you know if Kali has any hets?

Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  20:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From her last breeding, Kali has been proven to carry Amel, Charcoal and Diffused. It is possible she has more unknown hets.

I've no idea what hets Apollo has, he is an Anery, chances are relatively good that he will be het amel as it is quite commonly found with anery genes (thanks to popularity of snows). Maybe I will be lucky and Kali will be het anery and Apollo will be het amel (or charcoal or diffused) but there is a real chance I will end up with a clutch of normal het anery ph charcoal diffused amel hatchlings. If I'm really lucky, they could both be het hypo or caramel or something that is commonly discovered in snakes with unknown hets.

It's going to be fun trying to figure out what both Kali and Apollo do and don't carry. All of my other snakes have lots of possible hets too (which match up with another snake) so that will be a very long wait to hatching day too! They're still tiny though, it'll be at least 2 years before I can think about breeding my 2012 females.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000