New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  21:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking at buying Rosie's next (and hopefully final) viv. Looking at the Viva Vixotic ranges I notice they come in two sizes. The medium has a combined wisth and depth of 4 foot 5 which seems a bit short if she ends up a 5 foot snake. The large are 5 foot 4 which is large enough for an adult. Would a young snake (she is 1 foot 11 at the moment) find that too stressful.

Also would anyone bother buying the extra large 7 inches taller to give a snake more room to explore?

Also, - with heat mats in a large viv, do you tend to glue them down?

1.1.0 Jim Caramel Tessera, Rosie Motley

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  22:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A standard 3' viv will be fine for an adult Corn, my biggest is 5'. Average size of old VivExotic is around 36x15x16. Mine spend most time either coiled up inside a hide, carpet tube or draped across some branches playing at being tree pythons. I do take them out regularly for a 'stretch'.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  18:16:58  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Guessing by "combined large 5ft 4") that it's 4ft long? I'm a bit dense :P I have a stack for 48" x 15" vivs and one 36" x 15" which houses a small adult corn.

If they are like the old viv exotics, wide ones are taller so either the popular ones are the wider, taller 3ft length one of the narrow 4ft. I have narrow 4fts, you don't need the extra height really unless you have a really tall long/snake table/shelf.

Yes the space would stress your little snake out, even if you buy her the adult sized viv and make it smaller, I still wouldn't put her in it as little snakes seem to escape from big vivs easily. If you buy a 2ft rub as her next house size, when shes older and potentially moves into a viv, you have the vet/feeding/cleaning rub :)

As for heatmats, I just weigh it down with a heavy hide. I don't like sealing them down, but many people do and if you choose to, probably aquarium seal is the best bet as you may need to buy it and probably have some left over from sealing if you buy a flat packed viv

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 06/02/2013 18:18:13
Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  22:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both

Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  14:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have decided to move her up to a 24 inch monkfield before moving to her final viv. Parly as it should stop me worrying about her squeezing between the glass.

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  16:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good choice. They are great little vivs

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly