New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darkelf-Lola
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  22:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's amazing being a newbie at the same time as Mumhols, cos i get most of my answers from her topics. Though we do have the same query about our snakes being younger than we were told that they are.

Like i have mentioned before, i re-homed Lola & seem to be on a steep learning curve, & was given a certain amount of information, which i'm learning is very sketchy. I have been told that Lola is approx. 11 months old & has shed twice, does this sound about right???

Or as it has been suggested, because she is so light for her age (now 17 grams), is she younger than i think???

I'm not worried, because she is active, healthy & adventurous exploring her surroundings. She is very sociable & getting more confident with the family handling her. I'm looking forward to feeding her tomorrow to see how she takes her pinks.

Thanks for your input.

0.1.0 Amel (Lola)
1.1.0 Staffies (Tripp). (Xena)
0.0.3 African Land Snails

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  22:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
reckon she may be younger than youve been told, although sizes can vary greatly.

however i wouldnt believe this snake has only shed twice in 11 months, i cant see that at all.

Go to Top of Page

Darkelf-Lola
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  22:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

reckon she may be younger than youve been told, although sizes can vary greatly.

however i wouldnt believe this snake has only shed twice in 11 months, i cant see that at all.

Ok, how old would you guess she is??

0.1.0 Amel (Lola)
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  23:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
too hard to gues im afraid. there is no way of knowing the actual age. as i said it could be 11 months just a little one which isnt unusual.

Its the shedding part, most corns will shed twice within the first 4-5 weeks (assuming they have been eating ok). just say its a 2012 baby and you wont go wrong ;)

Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  23:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hatchlings normally shed as they grow, so normally every 4-6 weeks, however if they are not growing fast, it can be less regularly. I would expect a hatchling that is shedding and growing normally to shed twice by the time it is about 1-4months old, however if they aren't growing quickly, they won't shed as often.

17g is very small for an 11month old, but Apollo was that size at about that age too. He had been fed on a maintanance diet at a pet shop and had only shed 4 times according to the petshop records. One of my four hatchlings has reached 17g (she isn't the eldest of the four either) so it does show how different the growth rates can be.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Edited by - Moppet on 08/12/2012 23:03:33
Go to Top of Page

Darkelf-Lola
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  23:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

too hard to gues im afraid. there is no way of knowing the actual age. as i said it could be 11 months just a little one which isnt unusual.

Its the shedding part, most corns will shed twice within the first 4-5 weeks (assuming they have been eating ok). just say its a 2012 baby and you wont go wrong ;)

Thanks

0.1.0 Amel (Lola)
Go to Top of Page

Darkelf-Lola
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  23:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moppet

Hatchlings normally shed as they grow, so normally every 4-6 weeks, however if they are not growing fast, it can be less regularly. I would expect a hatchling that is shedding and growing normally to shed twice by the time it is about 1-4months old, however if they aren't growing quickly, they won't shed as often.

17g is very small for an 11month old, but Apollo was that size at about that age too. He had been fed on a maintanance diet at a pet shop and had only shed 4 times according to the petshop records. One of my four hatchlings has reached 17g (she isn't the eldest of the four either) so it does show how different the growth rates can be.

Thank you, I'm really enjoying being in Lola's life, she is amazing & learning from so many experienced owners.

0.1.0 Amel (Lola)
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  23:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When u got lightning he was 18 months old and only just 30g but midnight the same age was over 50. Lightning was always smaller although he was by far the bet feeder. Midnight missed for 6 weeks and lightning never caught up, the are all different x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  23:44:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Gmac has said dont worry too much about specific DoB's, as they all grow at different rates to different sizes guessing is almost impossible. Shedding happens as and when it is needed, its not a set rate either so that also is an unreliable measure of age. The important thing is body health. If Lola is healthy, eating and a good shape (healthy body is loaf of bread shaped, nice round back, straight vertical sides and a flat, clean belly), the rest will be of no consequence a year from now and the other 15 or so years, If you want to give her a birthday then use the day you got her, wont be a million miles off.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Darkelf-Lola
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  23:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

As Gmac has said dont worry too much about specific DoB's, as they all grow at different rates to different sizes guessing is almost impossible. Shedding happens as and when it is needed, its not a set rate either so that also is an unreliable measure of age. The important thing is body health. If Lola is healthy, eating and a good shape (healthy body is loaf of bread shaped, nice round back, straight vertical sides and a flat, clean belly), the rest will be of no consequence a year from now and the other 15 or so years, If you want to give her a birthday then use the day you got her, wont be a million miles off.

Thanks lotabob, i'm not worried & am very happy she is fit & healthy. I'm just trying to gain advice from those who are more experienced than i am. I'm also looking forward to many years of cornie ownership.

0.1.0 Amel (Lola)
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  08:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to give you an idea of difference in weight Bangle 18mths 360g Boozer the same age 160g. Boozer is a snake i rescued about 6weeks ago and he is steadily putting on weight with a proper feedng regime

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000