Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mumhols
Hatchling

United Kingdom
110 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2012 :  14:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
. Her vent is where my finger is

Better one of tail

So do you think boy or girl, I was told at the shop they think a girl..

Peaches looks to small to me for probing ( obviously I wouldn't do it myself) but heard only hatchling can be popped ( again I'm not experienced so wouldn't do it)

Holly

0.1.0 corn snake (creamsicle I think)-Peaches
0.01- bearded dragon- Ted
1.0.0 bunny- Biscuit
1.1.0 budgies- Rio and Daisy
3.2.0 children- Josh, Cohen, Kiefer, Bella and Elissa
1.0.0 hubby- Si

Love my guys loads

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2012 :  14:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a really inaccurate method, looking at the shape of the tail, and the amount of blur in these pics isn't helping :p

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

Mumhols
Hatchling

United Kingdom
110 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2012 :  14:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah sorry pics aren't great, the light was bad and she wouldn't keep still lol x

Holly

0.1.0 corn snake (creamsicle I think)-Peaches
0.01- bearded dragon- Ted
1.0.0 bunny- Biscuit
1.1.0 budgies- Rio and Daisy
3.2.0 children- Josh, Cohen, Kiefer, Bella and Elissa
1.0.0 hubby- Si

Love my guys loads
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2012 :  14:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probing is the only way second only to breeding. And it's a good idea to let the snake settle for a week x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Nasicus
Egg

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2012 :  18:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait till 'she' is bigger, and then get her probed, much more accurate! I've had a few of my 'males' with long tails turn out to be ladies when probed, and vice versa lol!

Corns:
0.1.0 Snow - Lister
0.1.0 Amel - Psiren
0.1.0 Fire - Cat
1.0.0 Normal - Rimmer
1.0.0 Kinked Butter - Kryten

Hognoses:
1.0.0 Greenphase - Scout
1.0.0 Greenphase - Pyro
0.1.0 Normal - Rocket

Beardie:
1.0.0 Alduin
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2012 :  18:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you intend to breed I don't really see its necessary to know the sex. Can't be very nice having metal prongs stuffed up your back side.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

vector200066
Hatchling

United Kingdom
232 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  15:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi There

Normally longer tails mean it is a girl, Shorter tails mean a boy.
But if that doesn't make you 100% sure then just hold the end of the tail and a little way above where the umbilical cord was and then push and you should see little bits for a male, no bits female. Now be warned she/he might poo and wee over you but that's normal protection of herself/himself. Just to say you might need a little assistance if you have a nippy one or if you think you need help because if you are not confidant and it goes wrong you might lose a little snake some where in your house. :)

Hope I helped you good luck sexing your little babies.

0.1 Corn Snake (Megan) Collected my first snake on 27/7/13
2.0 Brother (Jason)(Shaun R.I.P), 0.1 Sister (Samantha), 3.0 Budgies (Joey R.I.P,Freddie,Leo, Casper), 0.3 Dogs (Judy, Penny, Molly), 1.0 Cats (Tabs R.I.P, Timmy) 1.0 Royal Python (Lesser) Busby
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  15:27:36  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree that unless you want to breed then is the sex really important?
The best sexing method will depend on the age of your snake. The best person would be a reptile vet or a reputable breeder. Some reptile shops will probe an adult snake for you, generally for a small fee.
Sexing from the tail is very unreliable and several people have come home with 'males' that have later laid eggs!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  17:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the males that are supposed to have longer tails, as their hemipenes lie inverted in the tail. That's also why ( in adults ) the shape of the tail is slightly different - female's taper straight after the vent, whilst male's tails run thicker for a bit, then taper. This is quite difficult to spot, unless you have a male and female next to each other, and can compare.

You could try scale count - you count the pairs of scales from the vent, to the tail tip ( best done on a complete shed ). Males are supposed to have 70 - 80 pairs of subcaudal scales , whilst females should only have 59 - 70 pairs. This is a guide only - I have a female, that has 71 pairs, and my male has 72... again, not that reliable.

I wouldn't try any pushing on the belly ( as that's where the umbilical cord was ), you could do quite a lot of damage... what vector 200066 is probably referring to is called popping, and can and should only be done on very young hatchlings, and only by experienced people. This is where you hold he snake just at the vent with one hand, and just a little bit after the vent with the other, then gently roll your thumb from the tail, towards the vent. If it is a male, two hemipenes should pop out. This must be done gently, and by someone experienced , as a lot of damage can be done if not done right. Again, not that reliable, as some snakes can already have enough muscle control to hold the hemipenes in, so can pop falsely as a female.

Probing's probably the best way, but then again, as other have said, it's better to wait for the snake to be a bit bigger for that. :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  18:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in total agreement with what Razee has said Holly. PLEASE don't try to do what Vector has suggested, it should only be done by people trained in what to do otherwise you risk injuring your snake, maybe seriously.

It is the male that has the longer tail, due to it having to store two hemipenes in it, as Razee said. But this isn't a good way to sex a corn unless you have one of the opposite sex, but exact same age to compare it to....and then corns differ so much with how they grow that it wouldn't be accurate.

IF you are wanting to take your snake to get it probed it would need to be at least 3/4 months old. If it isn't done properly it can also damage the snake. Also it isn't 100% accurate. I have a snake that was probed and I was told it was male. A few months later SHE laid infertile eggs....so definitely NOT male!

I also agree about not getting a snake sexed, unless you need to because of breeding. I only got mine done because I had taken her into a reptile shop as she had a lump. I haven't with my other 2 as I don't want to put them through the stress of the journey and the procedure itself....and risk them getting hurt. I know some people just like to know, but is it really necessary?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

vector200066
Hatchling

United Kingdom
232 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  18:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was what i was referring to Razee

0.1 Corn Snake (Megan) Collected my first snake on 27/7/13
2.0 Brother (Jason)(Shaun R.I.P), 0.1 Sister (Samantha), 3.0 Budgies (Joey R.I.P,Freddie,Leo, Casper), 0.3 Dogs (Judy, Penny, Molly), 1.0 Cats (Tabs R.I.P, Timmy) 1.0 Royal Python (Lesser) Busby
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  22:32:25  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Vector why are you commenting on posts that are over half a year old and haven't been posted on for months. This is doing nothing more thank putting dead threads at the top of the boards an makes for pointless reading. Please stop commenting on old threads and stick to the current ones

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000