Dexters 1st day out!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mart78
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  23:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At last I finally was able to get Dexter out of his viv tonight and it was well worth the wait, as you all gave me excellent advice to leave the little lad alone for 7 days while he gets used to his surroundings. I bought him last Sunday and he seems to have settled in well as he came into my arms nice and easy. He was a bit lively at first but soon settled down and was relaxed enough to enjoy. Ain't corns just a great pet! I'd like to share some of my snaps with you all as we are so proud of him and it is the first time we have ever owned a snake as we bought for our sons 8th birthday.
I do have a few questions and any replies would be greatly appreciated ,here we go..
When would a bath be recommended and in what conditions? he had a slight whiff about him, is this normal?
Now he's been out how often would you handle him?
Sorry about the enlarged photos , getting used to all the technical knowhow with limited time. signing out for now.. Thanks
He's a cracker..

Me best mate!

I tell him all me secrets...

I'm only guessing he's a normal corn , 3ft long and 2 years old , all info of the local pet store for what that's worth , see ya.

MartLisaHarryBruno

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  23:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pics!
Corns dont really need a bath unless there is retained shed that wont come off, or really constipated, Cant help with the smell, but maybe on this occasion a bath MIGHT help, only a couple inches deep, barely warm, might really freak out, most do, but iv had to give Kellogs a bath and she liked it.
And yep a Normal, very pretty too

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  23:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice pics

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  23:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pictures He looks like a normal to me but I am still learning the morphs myself. He's very pretty

I handle my snakes every day to begin with but just for 5 minutes each time, then I gradually increase the time they are being held for. Sometimes I miss the odd day here and there with handling depending on how busy I am and of course I don't handle for 48 hours after a meal. I also don't handle Apollo when he is in blue as he seems more nervous than usual and I feel mean, Titan doesn't seem to care though so he still gets time out even when blue. Both of my boys are very very tame, even though Titan is still a hatchling so it seems to have worked for me

Neither of my boys smells of anything. I would wait for someone more experienced to answer that question for you. However, I do know that if you do bath them the water should be as close to 28 degrees as you can get it so that it is comfortable for a corn snake. Some corn snakes don't mind being bathed but some hate it.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

mart78
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  23:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your comments , I love to here good advice and as i'm still new to snakey keepin' it just keeps getting better. Learning allot from forum talks and vids are great!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work all... see ya...

MartLisaHarryBruno

Edited by - mart78 on 10/09/2012 23:30:55
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  09:09:34  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Very sweet!
I tend to give mine a bath after they have been to events and had sticky fingers all over them :P
Maybe try giving him a wipe through with a damp cloth and see if he's got a whiff after? It might just be normal snakey smell which you will get used to real soon!

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

mart78
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  11:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like it's bathtime for Dexter after he's had his 2 day post feed rest. Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by Ell

Very sweet!
I tend to give mine a bath after they have been to events and had sticky fingers all over them :P
Maybe try giving him a wipe through with a damp cloth and see if he's got a whiff after? It might just be normal snakey smell which you will get used to real soon!

MartLisaHarryBruno
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  13:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he's lovely

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils