Snakes and Ferrets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr Lupus
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  00:09:00  Show Profile  Visit Dr Lupus's Homepage  Click to see Dr Lupus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

Long time no speak - I hope everyone here is well :)

I have a random question and instantly thought of you lovely people to come and ask for advice. We're thinking of moving the snakes out of their own room and back into the Living Room because we miss having the day-to-day interation with them. I work from home a lot so it's nice to have them next to me and talk to them as I work and what not.

However, we also have two ferrets. The Ferrets perminant home is a large ferret cage in the dining room, but as I'm sure some of you will know they love to be out and play and we ferret-proofed the living room as their play room where they have a run each day. Will this still be ok when we have the snakes in here? Bear in mind that when the ferrest are in the living room they are NEVER unsupervised and all the snakes (except one baby corn) are in wooden vivariums.

Any advice or experience would be most welcome :) - thanks!

2.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake (Lucius & Draco)
1.0.0 Caramel Ghost Corn Snake (Snake)
0.1.0 Snow Tessera Corn Snake (Ferguson)
1.0.0 California King Snake (Riddle)
0.2.0 Ferrets (Lisbeth & Bane)
0.1.0 Cat (Hannah)

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  00:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that ferrets would eat a snake if given the chance but if they are kept separate I don't see why it should be such a problem. I think it would probably be necessary to prevent the ferrets from scratching at the wooden vivs if they were inclined to do so as this might scare the snakes and cause problems with not eating etc.

I heard rumours that ferrets scent affected snakes in a negative way but one of my friends has ferrets and Apollo couldn't care less, even if they are within view or if I handle them then handle him smelling of ferret. To be fair, he is a very laid back little guy but I don't think that it would be a problem for most corns.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  15:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellogs freaks out if too close to the ferret cage, but is fine on the floor where Peanut has been running about

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Dr Lupus
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2012 :  18:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Dr Lupus's Homepage  Click to see Dr Lupus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's great :) - thanks guys :)

2.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake (Lucius & Draco)
1.0.0 Caramel Ghost Corn Snake (Snake)
0.1.0 Snow Tessera Corn Snake (Ferguson)
1.0.0 California King Snake (Riddle)
0.2.0 Ferrets (Lisbeth & Bane)
0.1.0 Cat (Hannah)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000