help!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  14:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie laid 17 eggs, within about a week, most of them looked a bit iffy, there were about 3-4 that seemed okay- over the last fews weeks the bad ones went furry, dinted, yellow- but didnt smell bad, but then i found tiny black flies in there, so i separated them into a different box of vermic. the three good ones that were left all had a bad egg still attached. last week i looked in the iffy box and saw teeny maggots- ew- they went in the bin, i finally admitted defeat on that one-
i still have the three good ones incubating, and they look great (though no sign at all of any action yet)
BUT two have still got a bad egg stuck on, that i cant get off without fear of damaging my good babies- i just checked in on them, and - aaargh! tiny black flies walking about inside- what do i do?
should i force the bad eggs off so i can chuck them out?
im going to change the vermiculite again- but what else can i do to protect the 3 good eggs?
ive been doing so well up to now- not being overly neurotic about them but now im in a spiral of panic.....

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  14:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, and today is day 60

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....

Edited by - nickyff on 19/07/2012 14:58:29
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  16:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's your call really.... you could leave them and put a layer of spahagnum moss over them as it has anti-bacterial properties. bad eggs really shouldn't effect any good eggs.

or you can cut the bad eggs away, not try pullin them apart incase you do damage a good egg. one of my females 2nd clutch this year had 2 good eggs surrounded by 6 bad eggs. i used a small pair of scissors and cut the bad eggs leaving only the side of the bad egg that was stuck to the good eggs. you will get white mould growth around the edges of bad egg still attached to the good eggs but it brushes away easily

Edited by - kev 5 on 19/07/2012 19:11:20
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  18:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks kev- I had heard of this before but forgot- it sounds much safer than trying to pull the bad eggs away- I think ill pop a bit of moss in too-

Go to Top of Page

NexivRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
551 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  18:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't offer any advice, but fingers crossed for your remaining eggs. Day 60 means they're due to hatch soon doesn't it?

R.I.P. 0.1: CB10 Ophion - pewter masque het amel
1.0: CB10 lavender stripe het ??? - Alabaster (Bats) Codify
0.1: CB12 hypo plasma het amel - Nebula
0.2: CB13 diffused 66% pos het cinder - Demeter (Mimi) & Bombulurina (Reenie)
1.0: CB13 hypo cinder ?% pos het amel stripe - Huckleberry
0.1: CB13 anery aztec het amel - Tetris
1.0: CB13 gold dust motley stripe - Helios
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  21:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx kev- I started cutting away one of the bad eggs, the pressure of doing it loosened the bed egg and the whole thing came away, leaving a slight patch on the good one- looks like the shell/skin is a bit thinner there, but not dangerously so- (i hope)
the second one, I cut with a stanley blade- inside it looked like a baby-bel cheese (ew)with a sort of gunky browny bit that i think must've been the undeveloped embryo - anyway I got most of it off, and resettled the 3 good eggs into clean new vermiculite and put them back into warmth. candled them at the same time- I could see biggish shadows in the bottom of all of them, and pink veins around the inside, but no movement- shouldn't they be moving about a bit? just thinking of when ive been pregnant and how much the baby jiggles about while its in there......
anyway- thanks for the suggestion- flies are all gone

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  22:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats o.k.... they're on day 60 now so you shouldn't have long to wait now. don't worry about not seeing any movement, they move less as they fill more of the egg. if they look good on day 60 you shouldn't have any problems

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000