is my corn snake pregnant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

katy
Egg

59 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  21:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just given 2 corn snakes 6 days ago they are about 4 or 5 years old i dont really know much about older corn snakes as iv only had 2 hatchlings for about 4 month and i got to know when they shed and their eating pattons ect. she is about 4foot long i dont know how much she weighs but she dont look under weight she is with a male because that is how they been since brought together. So my question is how can i tell if she has eggs she does look abit swollen near her bottom half i think she came like that she hasn't ate for about 2 weeks she normaly eats once very sunday on a jumbo mouse. The previous owner said she can take her time and she will eat if you leave her for a while which i did but she did not, then tried her on wednesday and nothing again so i tried her on a fluff the next day to she if she would take something smaller which she didn't I have put a nesting box in with her just in case, is there any thing else i need to get should i not handle her for awhile if she is pregnant how long do they not feed for (if this is why she is not eating) basically any answers much appreciated.

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  21:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she could well be if she is with a male. to be honest you need to seperate them so the male doesn't pester the female especially if she is gravid, there are stickies you can read at the top of the breeding section. she should have a pre-lay shed, she will lay between 7-14 days after this. are you planning to incubate the eggs?

Edited by - kev 5 on 06/07/2012 23:07:55
Go to Top of Page

katy
Egg

59 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  22:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i was going to try i have got all of the bits i need apart from the seperate containers i am new to this and have done research into looking after the eggs just in case. Red (is her name as she is a bloodbed corn)seems to be out all the time while micth the male corn is always hiding he seems to leave her alone i was going to get another viv at the end of the month will red be ok with mitch till the end of the month or should i go buy one asap?
Go to Top of Page

katy
Egg

59 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  22:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and forgot to say i found a shed buried when i cleaned the viv out the next day but don't know which snake it belonged to.
Go to Top of Page

katy
Egg

59 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  22:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and forgot to say i found a shed buried when i cleaned the viv out the next day but don't know which snake it belonged to. and i meant to say bloodred corn lol
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  23:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that could of been a prelay shed. if it was she could lay eggs within the next 2 weeks. the trouble is it's better for her to be left in peace to lay her eggs. the male could also try to mate with her again and she will lose quite a bit of weight when she lays, she will need rest and time alone to put on weight and build her strenght back up. he could be pestering her late at night when there more active to

Go to Top of Page

williamwallsend
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  20:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i posted not so long ago about my female not eating very well and people gave good answers, but i had only had her a couple of weeks so i put it down to what other people said which was she was getting used to the new environment. anyway, she shed her skin about 3 weeks ago, and last week i woke up to 8 eggs in her viv, so through my little experiance i would say she is due to lay, although mine didnt seem to fatten up with the eggs all that much. make sure you do seperate the male and female, and keep the eggs the same way up as she lays them so you dont drown them embryo. good luck :)

0.1.0 staffy
0.1.8 corns
0.1.0 fiancee
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000