New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  20:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we went to donnie last month, I saw some beautiful Brazilian Rainbow Boas. Since then, it has been playing on my mind a fair bit. They're so pretty and shiney

I have been researching their requirements and the general opinion is that they are quite easy to keep apart from requiring high humidity levels and more space than a corn.

My question is how difficult are they to keep compared to a corn snake?

Also, how difficult are they to keep for someone who hasn't kept a boa before?

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  12:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BRB's are truly stunning - I was hooked the minute I saw one in my local rep store
Humidity is very important, but so is temperature, like corns too high a temperature is very detrimental - I have learnt from TRBS that the high end temp should not exceed 28 centigrade. Humidity should be as high as possible for neonates (at least 88%).
I had only had my two corn snakes for 4 months when I went out and got my BRB - so I am an inexperienced snake keeper, but prepared to ask questions, research and take on board as much information as I can find.
I personally don't think they are any more difficult to keep than corns, but do require 'different' conditions, but as said that is just my opinion
I have decided that as adults they require a 4' x 2' viv and plastic ones are best due to the higher humidity requirement, glass ones lose heat too quickly and are too 'open' for these shy creatures.
Young Boas are also very 'nippy', so be prepared to be bitten - saying that none of my Boas have nipped me yet or shown signs of doing so
I hope this has been of some use to you, but feel free to go and join the Rainbow Boa Site - loads of very experienced keepers on there

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page