New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

adamczuk
Egg

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  16:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, it's Sonnys feeding day today but i've noticed that most of the pinkies left in the bag have whitish spots and patches on them? Is this freezer burn? and if so is it safe to feed him them or will i wait and buy more?

Also as a side note, do you think he's ready for fuzzies? had him 2 months so he's around 5 months old, and he's 23g.

Thank you,
Adam

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  16:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mins is 56g and he on fuzzies the rule is if the food item is 1.5 times the width of thickest part of the snake it should be fine.... is there still a big bulge after being fed pinkies?

Go to Top of Page

adamczuk
Egg

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  16:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is still a bulge, but not that much to be honest, i was going to finish this bag of pinkies before thinking about fuzzies but starting to wonder now with the freezer burn.
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  17:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should be on fuzzies but see nothing wrong with using up your existing pinkies, freezer burn will do no harm.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  18:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whiteish spots and patches, so long as they're in/under the skin are freezer burn, they can sometimes look pitted as well, but I figured out this was just where the pinks had been prodded by other frozen rodents during storage, as once they had defrosted the pits where completely gone.
Perfectly fine to feed :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000