New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  06:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..with eggs, I mean?
Debbie laid 17 eggs on may 19th, they all looked pretty good.Then after a week or so some looked better than others, but still all potentially viable. (it seemed)

Over the last few weeks, some have sunk (quite a lot) some have changed colour. There's been furry mouldy-looking stuff, that I've got off gently with a make-up brush, and put moss over (it's fungicidal, I've read?) here's how they've changed..

The other day I went to check on them, and found a couple of tiny black flies walking over the vermiculite. ew.

I planned on a change of vermiculite/moss, and started taking the eggs out of the tub, in doing this, most of the 'bad' looking ones have come away, where before they were stuck together.

There are three that still look healthy, and all three have a bad egg still connected.

I've put those ones back into the incubator on new vermiculite. but I don't know what to do about these bad looking ones. I just can't bring myself to bin them, just in case. Am I being stupid? Are they definitely lost? is there any possibility that something could survive or even grow in an egg that looks like this?

if you look at the left side of the top left egg here, you can see the pale 'patch' that lots of them now have, from where they were attached to another egg but have come away- it looks like the egg is sort of thinner at these patches. They all have a reasonable 'bounce' and firmness to touch, but some have a 'greasy' feel, most of them have dints and sunken parts, and they're all smaller than the 3 good ones.

Should I just accept that they're goosed and chuck em in the bin???

help please!!

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  07:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would continue to incubate, there's not harm not to. I think some discoloration is normal and the normal dent in the couple of days before they hatch. You can get a torch and shine it through, if they are pink and vieny they should be ok, if they are not then they are duds

Wait for someone else to give slightly more experiencd advice before following mine tho xx

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  09:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm afraid they dont look good to me. but if you want to be sure and do carry on incubating then i'd put them in a seperate egg box even though bad eggs shouldn't effect good eggs

Edited by - kev 5 on 29/06/2012 12:56:41
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  11:36:36  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They don't look particularly great but I would be like you and not want to discard them just in case. I do agree with Kev though and incubate them in a different tub or if thats not possible, away from the good ones. Be careful you don't rotate any of them while you are moving them

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000