Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  06:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is it whenever we go to a rep or pet shop they always assume its my husband thats interested in reptiles? And people on other forums automaically assume that its a bloke posting? Is it really that strange for a women with out tatoos and body piercings (not implying that all other women have these) who dresses smart casual, has brown/auburn hair and two teenage boys to be interested and keep snakes and lizards? Maybe its silly suffolk for you

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  07:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who knows My experience is usually about 50/50! Don't know about this forum, I think it's pretty mixed, but some pet shops are a bit funny for sure!

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  08:26:06  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not really, think this forum has more female members than male. Saying that, I always assume someone on here is male until I know they are female just out of habit.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  08:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol maybe it is Suffolk! Hubby happened to mention in passing to the receptionist at our son's school that I had a snake. Her reply? 'Oh, she doesn't LOOK like the sort of person who would like snakes!'

(Your description of youself also fits me exactly except kids are younger lol!!)

Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  08:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have had that - "did,nt think you,d be into snakes" and i am middle aged and Mumsy (though try hard not to be ok i,ll try that again - i am in my prime and trendy !!)

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  09:24:24  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I tend to assume people on here are female. Don't know why lol

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  09:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think its the old sugar and spice thing. A lot of people have the vicious snake idea and ladies are too nice to keep such monsters.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

purplepeke
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  10:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think, a few years ago, it was a predominately men only hobby, but attending Doncaster show, last weekend, it was a 50/50 split, for sure. And for the record, i am a forty something, tattoed female, sadly without piercings.....LOL!
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  11:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have had the didn't have you as the type to have snakes, and i am known for being 'different' lol, saying that i have also had the'didnt think you'd be the type to have tatoos' comments too

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  12:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same reaction from a breeder I went to collect my BRB from.
I had arranged a time, was about 10mins early arriving, he had had a break in that morning and had had loads of people at his property, I got greeted with 'How can we help?', I said 'have come to collect a snake', the reply to this was: 'Oh, your not what I was expecting'.
I am 40 something, mousy hair, no tatoos and smart casual dressed.
He equally was not what I was expecting, but a really great guy and very very helpful.
Why do we have such preconcieved ideas of the 'type' of people who keep reptiles?

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  12:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would this be a good time to point out that I'm tattooed, pierced and have a shaved head?

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Lozzy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1556 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  13:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here I have had the didn't think you were the type to have tattoos and keep snakes... I was just like well there is a surprise round every corner ;)

And again tho i always presume people are female on here :)

0.1 CB10 Snow Cornsnake - Galaxy ~(Currently MIA)
1.0 CB11 Ultramel Anery Consnake -Orion
0.1 CB11 Lavender Cornsnake - Star
0.1 Leopard Gecko-Simo
1.1 Jack Russell-T.J and Harley (Minature)
1.1 Cats-Rascal and Dizzee
1.0 TB Horse-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  13:13:38  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
<--is male just for the record not tattooed though still cant decide on what to get for my first might get a friend to design a collage based around all my snakes i reckon thatd look pretty awesome
this forum is so diverse thats why i love it nobody really cares wether everyone is male female or what colour race ore religion they are our first passion is snakes and that gets my vote!

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

ted89
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  14:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive sold most of my hatchlings to females, and more often or not it was their male partners who wernt too sure about getting them haha
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  15:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't actually personaly know any women that keep reptiles. Just men and most are tattoed with piercings. Like you say it does seem to be the image that springs to most peoples minds when you mention snakes etc. I would like to say that every person I have met with reptiles, and I mean breeders or those that keep a wide collection, are brilliant. Always polite, helpful and generally just nice people. It just bugs me that shop owners and others kinda just walk past and go straight to the other half. Maybe I should have a tatoo on my forehead 'The Snakelady' lol.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  16:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol found this facinating! i am female. do have tatts, but are hidden, both rep shops in Dundee since i show more interest than the OH they talk to me first

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  16:56:55  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't be a real snake keeper as I don't have piercings or tattoos (dermatitis and bad histamine reactions are bad enough) but I could PhotoShop some on.
Years ago my sister hammered a sleeper into my ear on a pub table but it disappeared into the lobe and 'wormed' up.
I don't have mousy brown hair, in fact not much up top at all, but can I grow an impressive beard? You bet I can.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  17:47:20  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm a girl too (but only on weekend evenings) ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

booteylu
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  21:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a 20 year old female, have a fairly girly appearance but not so much of a girly personality and it also bugs me when people are shocked that i keep reptiles
On here i usually go by the username and if i can't work it out i'll have a look on their profile

0.1.0 Carolina Corn - Eva
1.0.0 Butter Stripe - Butter
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  21:57:27  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

i'm a girl too (but only on weekend evenings) ;)

Oi I'm the only cress dresser here, find ya own spot

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  22:27:20  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hehe I wouldn't argue with her in a dark alley! :D :D :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000