Electrical problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  12:12:25  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

a bit of advice needed please, a couple of times in the last 2 weeks either the heat mat or the thermo in Tripods viv has failed, the first time it happened I jiggled the wires around and checked all the plugs were in and it seemed to sort the problem. I went home yesterday dinner and again the heat mat is stone cold and the temp is reading 71 in the warm end. Each time it has happened the thermo light is on constant but the mat isn't heating up but if I plug the mat into the mains it heats up just fine so last night I sat and checked all the wiring in the plugs and changed the fuses after a lot of messing and fiddling about I eventually got the temps up to between 84 - 87 so have left well alone for now. I ordered a new mat and thermostat yesterday afternoon from SPS so should be here pretty quickly. One thing that did strike me as strange was on the back of the thermo it says 13amp fused but it only has a 3 amp fuse in the plug.

With the weather being warm I'm not overly worried but should I stop feeding until the new equipment arrives. He only has one food item a day so I don't think there ll be a problem.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  12:48:59  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So it sounds like the thermo probe is recognising the mat isnt to temp so trying to send power to it, so that suggests theres a loose connection in the stat that connects the socket wire or a problem with the stat socket itself. Have you opened up the main stat unit to check for loose connections?

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  12:58:22  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Callazagy no that was the only thing I didn't take to bits as both the mat and thermo are still under guarantee and I didn't want to invalidate the warranty by tinkering with it. Mind to be honest I wouldn't have this make out of choice it came as a starter kit and I've never felt completely happy with the performance of either mat or themo.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  13:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most will have a 3 amp fuse in them. a 3 amp fuse can take 690 watts, so even 600w thermostats only have a 3 amp fuse in their plug

Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  14:31:53  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that kev 5, well I've just been home for dinner and the damn thing has failed again, I turned the temp dial down til the light went out then turned it up to max and you can hear it click on and the light comes on but then it immediately clicks off again but the light stays on.

Jane.

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  15:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
defenitly sounds like a fault inside the thermostat, but like you say if you unscrew it and look inside it voids the warranty. hopefully your new one will be here soon.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000