Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2012 :  23:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The habistat range and the microclimate range do exactly the same thing. I use habistat but thats just what I started with and decided to stick with what I know but microclimate are just as good and probably a bit cheaper (they are also UK made I think if that floats anyones boat). If your temperatures are fluctuating a lot even after a long period when it should be nicely settled then it may be an issue with the positioning of your probes. I have always found hotgluing them to the surface of the mat keeps things in place and my mat setups dont fluctuate by more than a degree, maybe 2 but mainly they hold a steady temperature. If thats not the issue then it may just be differences between individual units, as long as its not going too high its still doing its job.

There are loads of digital thermometers available too, from £2 ebay specials to £15 all in one komodo magic ones, They are never 100% accurate but are close enough to be reliable.

Setting up all this kit is just part of the fun, once its doing what it should be though you pretty much forget about it, I do catch myself glancing at the temp readings every time I walk past the vivs, its just become second nature, you occasionally get a duff reading which makes you wonder how it has suddenly become 4 degrees, take the battery out and back in and everything is back to normal. Dont worry about disturbing them a little bit while they settle in, if it has to be done then it has to be done, they dont hold grudges, at least I think they don't maybe they are storing it all up for when my guard is down.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

voodoo
Hatchling

162 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  08:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lotabob I know they do the same thing, it just seems to fluctuate a lot. where on the mat is the best place? mines near the lead on the mat, perhaps thats why. it isnt going over 29.4C, which it stays at for no more than about 2 minutes anyway. Im using paper towel as substrate, which Im assuming doesnt hold heat the way aspen does too.

Go to Top of Page

smokeysfc
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  11:18:55  Show Profile  Click to see smokeysfc's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my sensor is placed in the middle of the mat ive tied the thermostat sensor together with the digital thermomiter sensor so it gives a persice reading and so far it has stayed at 29.1 then shuts off and kicks back in at 27

[/URL]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000