heating questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

voodoo
Hatchling

162 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  18:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yet more heating questions...I have a microclimate 100 thermostat set at 76F/just under 25C and now have a digital thermometer (only a cheap one from Ebay), which is measuring the temperature of the mat at a low of 25.5C, to a high of 29C. is this right? the fluctuations seems quite extreme! and isnt 25.5C a little low or is it ok? also Im thinking of buying a better thermometer, what brand would you recommend as being accurate?

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  19:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had the same problem with Microclimate, changed to Habistat Pulse, far more accurate. Look for a temp of 27/29. Most digital thermometers are fine, stick with what you have.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  19:30:09  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Okeetee Mick

Had the same problem with Microclimate, changed to Habistat Pulse, far more accurate. Look for a temp of 27/29. Most digital thermometers are fine, stick with what you have.

Agreed, I have a microclimate and the fluctuation is a lot more than my habistat mat stat, but my habistat pulse stat is even more accurate and only varies by 0.2 deg C max.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

voodoo
Hatchling

162 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  19:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont have much control over the lower temperature though, it just hits that before the thermostat kicks in. isnt the Habistat pulse for ceramic heaters though? I have a heatmat.

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  19:38:27  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I do use mine now on a ceramic heater but before I got the viv sorted it was powering a mat in a RUB and still did not vary by much more (think it was 0.3 deg C on the mat)

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

voodoo
Hatchling

162 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  19:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah, so its ok to use with a mat? I may have to have a look at getting one. or at least a Habistat, Im not particularly happy with these fluctuations. thank you

Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  20:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have the same stat and the flux's have gotten better over time
to be honest 4 degrees isn't something i worry about anyway
the stat is there to regulate an average temp and stop my viv setting on fire
and it does it quite well lol
never had a problem

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  20:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by voodoo

ah, so its ok to use with a mat? I may have to have a look at getting one. or at least a Habistat, Im not particularly happy with these fluctuations. thank you

No problem, all my mats and ceramics are controlled by them.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

voodoo
Hatchling

162 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  20:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ashby_steve i have the same stat and the flux's have gotten better over time
to be honest 4 degrees isn't something i worry about anyway
the stat is there to regulate an average temp and stop my viv setting on fire
and it does it quite well lol
never had a problem

does it improve? I just worry that 25C is a bit low. my snake refused his feed this week, and Im wondering if this is why. Im not too worried yet, as he may be heading into shed. his colour does look a little dull, but that could just be me thinking that! not seen any colour change on his eyes.

quote:
Okeetee Mick No problem, all my mats and ceramics are controlled by them.

ah, you use the Pulse for your mat? I shall probably get one of those, its only £34 inc postage on Surrey pets, so isnt exactly much more than what I paid for the one I have but if its less fluctuation I think Id be happier!

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2012 :  10:30:58  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are ya probes both directly on the mat?

Pulse stats can be used on mats an ceramics. Basically no visible best sources

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

voodoo
Hatchling

162 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2012 :  11:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, both probes are tied together on the mat, under the substrate and held in place with a plant. Ive adjusted the dial ever so slightly so now temps are reading a low of 25.9C to a high of 29.4C, which gives more time at better temps because it drops quickly. Ill get a pulse stat on payday I think though

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000