Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hey! Newbie Here, with a couple of queries.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  17:56:16  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, just thought id say hello, got my first Snake on Monday. I've always wanted a snake, but never had one before.

I popped along to my local pet shop, who were really helpful, gave me lots of advice, and a good starter setup with everything included.

I purchased a normal morph hatchling, he's only about a foot long, but i'm not sure of his age?

I was also advised to line the tank with kitchen towel, which i have, and then put the wooden chippings on top which were also supplied by the pet shop.

The snake has had its first feed, and seemed to eat well, the pet store said it was due a feed yesterday so i feed him a pinky as advised by the store.

Since the feed, the snake tends to be hiding away, i assume this is due to his new environment. He has two hides in the viv, one in the hot end, and one in the cool side. however he seems to have taken to hiding underneath the kitchen towel put down as substrate under the wood chippings.

Is this normal behavior for a Corn?

Any further advise would be appreciated as this is completely new to me, and id like to make sure the snake is happy, and stress free.

Thanks in advance.

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  18:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you got a corn thinking they are active and amazing to watch, sadley yout got the wrong type of snake. You will be lucky to see them out often. They live to eat and breed. Midnight is out from 8pm to 2am trying to escape to find a mate. And lightning just sticks his head out of his hut when the telly is on. I wouldn't bother with kitchen roll as he will tend to go under it as he will feel more hiden but it could cause mess if he knock his water bowl etc. Its advised not to feed orhandle for a week so the snake can settle in. Post some pics up when you get him out x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  18:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome

Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  18:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

Is one i got from the tank on Monday. Still not names him yet, any ideas?

He did spend a fair ammount of time exploring, trying to escape, lol, at the top of the viv, when he first went in, else he's been in a hide somewhere.

I'm quite happy for him to do his own thing, but looking forward to handling him

I went for a corn snake because it was my first snake, the guy at the pet store advised a corn and said it was ideal for a beginner, and said they have an excellent temperament and rarely bite.

When i have been in the viv to change his water, and spot clean he seems pretty calm, and not as nervous as i expected.

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  18:52:33  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  19:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the site.

When you get a new snake or put a snake into a new home it is advised to let them settling in for a week before feeding or handling. Even though you have fed you should be ok, just let snakey settle in nicely.

For my hatchling set up i just used kitchen roll but he was always under the dam thing so i decided to change to Aspen which he now loves burrowing in - sometimes i never see him!

You mention your using wood chip? What sort of wood is it?

One thing you havent mentioned is any heat mat/thermostat or thermometers?

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko

Edited by - viraleye on 13/06/2012 19:08:24
Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  19:30:10  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, yeah the wood chippings not sure which sort, its the Substrate which came with the beginners setup, using a heat mat on a polystyrene base as the pet store advised, thermostat and thermometer were also provided in the set up. but just a stick on thermometer which iv put in the warm side of the tank, also on the advice of the store.

The pet store have advised i will need a full size 3ft viv at around 5months, and this plastic one with heat mat will be fine till then. Does this sound right to you guys? (sorry for all the questions, i just want to get it right)

As for the substrate, I'm not sure what wood it is, but i would assume its a suitable material to use as they do sell it in bulk and in all their hatchling sets they sell. I was told to line it with kitchen towel as its a more absorptive material. I have seen/read that a lot of people seem to use Aspen as substrate, i think ill try this next time, seems much lighter than the chippings i'm using and looks more absorbent. The chippings I'm using can bee seen in the above picture.
Does this all sound right to you guys? or am i missing anything i need?

Thanks for the advice.

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  19:59:13  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi & Welcome, id switch to a digital thermometer as stick on are unreliable. Looking at that picture id say a 3ft viv would be two big for it even in five months, they don't grow that fast and it may feel a little unsecure in something so big. I imagine you are using beech chips which are fine, as is aspen, I use both. Perhaps add one or two plastic plants in thier for climbing and hiding.

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing i would do is get yourself a digital thermometer and replace the stick on thing as they're not accurate at all.

Also at 5 months old you'll be a while till you need a 3ft viv!

The substrate sounds and looks like beech chip which is ok.

The pet shop has given you a very basic set up to get you going, but you'll soon beggetting plenty of advise on here

1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina

Edited by - viraleye on 13/06/2012 20:06:27
Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:04:38  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Callazagy, any idea or rough guess on how old he is? I was not told, neither did i think to ask at the pet store, i was just told he was a hatchling, not sure if he's a few weeks or days, or what :P

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say maybe a couple of months old. Snakes grow at very different rates so its only a rough guess

1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:08:58  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Viraleye. I'm just about to ordered a digi thermometer from Swell Reptiles on advice from here. Anything else i need while i'm at it?

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:09:36  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Viraleye, ill get more pics up as and when i can handle him :-) really quite excited as its my first snake!

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:11:56  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hard to tell, but id say a few weeks, it looks a similar size to what my very first snake was when I got it, i believe he was 3-4 weeks when I got him.

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:17:34  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Schmello :D

I'd say dont go on the what the pet shop say on viv upgrade, go on how hes growing, if given too much space high chance of escape and they can get nervy if they got too much room x

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:22:04  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pleased to hear that you got a stat with your beginners setup as they so often don't which is strange as it is such a vital piece of equipment. Have a good look around the forum for ideas of things you might need/want before you purchse your digital thermometer tonight so you don't have to keep paying for postage :)

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:28:37  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for advice guys, always welcomed

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko

Edited by - Bam on 13/06/2012 20:29:36
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhere on here there is a hatchling set up which may be worth looking at.

1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:40:57  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Think you mean this viraleye -

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

Go to Top of Page

coyote
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome got to say i go with everyone on the viv my snake is around 6-7 months and even now the 3ft viv is 2 big judge by his growing every snake is different so it's a case of just observing and getting advice (that means all of us)

Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Callazagy

Think you mean this viraleye -

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

That's the one!!