Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chris25
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  09:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I have a male Amel corn and want to get a female to breed with him. I was thinking of getting a butter female and have tried to work out what I would get from this pairing? I've used the corn calc and got the below results.

Male: Amel
Female: Butter ( Amel, Caramel )
Phenotype:
100.0% Amel het Caramel
Genotype:
100.0% Amel het Caramel

Does this mean that all the babies would have the colour of Amels and carry the gene for Caramel?

From my research and new very limited knowledge of corn snake genetics I was thinking I would get 50% Amels and 50% butter? But I guess I'm wrong, here's my punnett square that I came up with...
#|A |A |
A|AA|AA|
C|AC|AC|

I'm trying to find a female that would be a good choice to pair with my Amel to get more desirable and colorful morphs if anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers,
Chris

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  09:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Punnett squares confuse me lol

Since amel and caramel are both recessive genes in corns, both parents need to be carrying it for the colour to show in the babies.
If dad isnt carrying the caramel gene, then you wont get any visual caramel babies - so yup, amels het caramel
(assuming the pparents dont have any other matching hets you dont know about!)
Go to Top of Page

chris25
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  13:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Figs,

They confuse me too, all this dominant and recessive stuff., genetics... not simple :)

In that case, what could I put with my Amel, I believe he's pure but could be het for something I guess, that would give a range of different morphs or predominantly a nice desirable morph?

Thanks

Cheers,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  13:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nothing really if he's got no hets. all you could get is amel hatchlings that had hets if you bred him with a snake that had amel and another trait in it's make up. say if you bred him with a snow the hatchlings would be amel het anery as a snow is a combination of amel and anery

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  13:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he doesnt have any hets, then your only options for visuals (i think!) are normals, amels, ultramels and tessera
Tessera is dominant over normal and ultra is codominant with amel; making ultramels
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  13:40:12  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the above pairing you would get all amels het caramel without knowing any hets of your male its impossible pick a suitable mate to produce other morphs unless you test breed him with lots of different females and see what you get which obviously isnt very practical

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

chris25
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  13:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah Ok,

Thanks for all your help. I have one final question... What would be best to breed him with to find out if he is het for anything? Is there an easy way of doing this?

If not I think I might just get the butter as I like the colour :)

Cheers,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  13:59:24  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
anything and everything he could potentially be easily het for anything or just as easily ..nothing the problem is selling the hatchlings after.

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

chris25
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  14:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, Thanks Paulie.

I'll get the butter if I can find one, if not maybe an amber as they have some of these in my local reptile shop.

Looking at what I could then get from breeding with an amber,

Normals het Amel, Caramel, Hypo

Then if I bred one of these back with my amber I'd get,

25.0% Caramel het Hypo 50% poss het. Amel
25.0% Normal het Caramel, Hypo 50% poss het. Amel
25.0% Hypo het Caramel 50% poss het. Amel
25.0% Amber ( Caramel, Hypo ) 50% poss het. Amel

A nice range of morphs :)

What are your thought on inbreeding the snakes like this? I've read its OK as long as not for more than 2 or 3 generations.

Cheers,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  14:38:41  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well im no expert im not a huge fan of inbreeding anything but obviously if people didnt do it then we wouldnt have half the awesome morphs we do if u wanted to do that though id probably get the butter as that way breeding one of the babys back to mum youd get butters and amels and no normals with hets im bias though as i love Butters lol

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake

Edited by - paulie78 on 07/06/2012 14:43:18
Go to Top of Page

chris25
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  15:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your thinking, also keeps it simpler. And as you say the butters are awesome and that's what I wanted initially!

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  17:00:41  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris25

I like your thinking, also keeps it simpler. And as you say the butters are awesome and that's what I wanted initially!

Thanks for all your help!

Besides you could aways buy a caramel/het caramel later if u wanted too for breeding purposes obviously lol

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:01:34  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how about making it a bit more interesting, and add something extra to the butter for even more possibilities. eg. if you went for a sulfur and kept a few pairs back to breed together you'd have chances of amel, butter, fire and sulfur.

these would only be f2 babies so theres no real problem with the line breeding.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might sound like a noob haha, but what does f1/f2 etc mean in terms of breeding?

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:35:43  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry, my bad. the 'f' means 'filial generation' and the number is the number of generations.

eg. If you have an unrelated pair of animals any babies they produce are f1 (first generation). If you breed any of the f1 babies together then their babies will be f2 second generation. Breed a pair of f2's together you get f3 babies, etc etc etc.

If an f1 (or indeed any of the future generations) are bred to an unrelated animal then their babies become the f1 of that particular breeding.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, brilliant, cheers :D

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  21:18:40  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cheers eeji Sulfurs on my list to try and breed lol should have everything i need (once i collect my new snakes from donnie lol) then i just have to wait for them to reach breeding age size and weight lol

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

chris25
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  08:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help! I like the idea of the sulfur! I'll have a look for one of those!
If anyone knows anywhere that would be a good place to find one I'd appreciate it. I've looked online for anyone selling butters or sulfurs and there doesn't seem to be any about.

Cheers,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  13:06:29  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i plan to breed my own sulfur once i have my pickups from donnie ill have the diffused gene and i already have a butter which so ill just breed to breed a diffused het amel,caramel lol blimey thinking about it i think its a 6 year project lmao maybe ill just buy one pmsl

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

chris25
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  13:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't look like there are many sulfurs out there. Seems quite rare at the moment and therefore I'm guessing if I do find one it'll be expensive. Will keep looking and have sent emails to local reptile shops but might have to settle for the butter.

Cheers,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  15:09:31  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
keep an eye on the european breeders, there seems to be loads of sulfur stuff in Germany. If you can get over to Hamm or Houten shows or can get one brought back you're in business :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000