Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  22:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

Apollo seems to be having issues shedding *sigh* The petshop didn't warn me she had been through a blue phase or anything and I didn't think her colours looked dull but then I haven't seen her newly shed yet, so I hadn't provided a damp hide or anything to help her. Petshop said all her sheds have been clean in the past.

Well, I found two small pieces of skin in her viv (stuck to her hide where I think she has been rubbing to get them off). She also has several pieces of skin hanging off her quite close to her head. I've put a cleaned jam jar with scrunched up dampened paper inside into her viv to give her the option to use it if she wants to but she doesn't seem very impressed by it. When I was handling her (that's when I noticed the skin) she seemed to be trying to rub sideways over my jumper which she hasn't done before, is this normal behaviour or was she trying to loosen the skin?

Seems like she's trying to shed anyway. Is there anything else I can do to make it easier on her? Or is it just a waiting game to see if she copes on her own?

Quite impressed she fed two days ago if she was so close to shedding tbh. A move to a new home, her first (small) feed in a new home, then shedding very quickly afterwards. Poor Apollo, it must be so stressful for her.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  22:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bless her.. at least she's eating for you

If you have a spray bottle, try misting her enclosure to raise the humidity - or maybe even put an extra water bowl in the warm end for a while; it works with my little shed-impaired kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  22:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks for such a quick reply. I have put an extra water bowl in the warm end and a damp hide but I don't have a spray bottle yet. It was on my shopping list along with sphagnum moss to help her shed... thought I'd get a bit more of a warning.

Fingers crossed she can deal with it on her own over night as I think it only started today, that's when the bits of skin appeared anyway. Hopefully I'll peep into the viv to see a shiney new snake tomorrow and I won't have to worry.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  08:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little amel hatchlings first shed with me was traumatic, came off in 'bits' and left half of tail area including the tail tip.
I put a damp cloth over warm hide and left for a day - still no success
I eventually had to give him a soak in warm water (approx 26 centigrade) and made him slither through a warm damp face cloth, eventually I managed to get all the retained shed off
All sheds since have been perfect, so hopefully Apollo will be ok in the future.
Hope all goes well

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  17:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, still not shed, although she's sat in the wet hide looking quite comfortable in there. She still has bits of skin hanging off all over the place like she did last night.

The question I have is how long do I give her to see if it sorts itself out? Or do I assume it isn't going to and try to help like blackcat suggested.
How long do I soak her for in water? And how do I know if all the skin is off?
The first 1/4 of her body has ragged pieces hanging off but they seem to be quite firmly suck on. The rest of her body just looks a little duller than the first bit, and a bit wrinkly.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  17:53:45  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lots of people have let them slither through a damp tea towel with a little pressure to help get rid of retained shed, might be worth a try.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  19:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! I did as suggested and put Apollo in a bath for a few minutes, then held her in a damp flannel whilst she squirmed about. It started her shed properly from just behind the frayed skin and she did the rest herself like normal but in a flannel and my hands! Amazing to watch! What a superstar!

So shiney and beautiful now!

Thanks guys.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  19:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rest of her shed came off in one piece (tip of tail included), however I don't know about her head or eyes because that was part of the ragged bit. Whilst she was shedding I snapped a couple of pictures because I thought it was ace.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  19:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So pleased Apollo has completed her shed and you have a nice shiny snake.
I'm just waiting for my Anery Zeus to shed and that will be all 5 of mine in the last 2 weeks.

Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  19:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh, do they tend to all shed close together? There was a snake in the petshop that I got Apollo from that was starting to shed, he was all raggedy looking too so maybe their humidity isn't right.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  19:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my boys shed last night, he lets me know by banging about lol. If you not sure on eyecaps shed just let him go through the damp towel a few times over the next couple of days to be sure

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  20:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moppet

Gosh, do they tend to all shed close together? There was a snake in the petshop that I got Apollo from that was starting to shed, he was all raggedy looking too so maybe their humidity isn't right.

I think it is just coincidence that all mine have shed so close together, but other more experienced keepers may know differently.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page