Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andrea49
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  19:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum - I've had a quick look and can't seem to find it, but please redirect me if I'm wrong.

This may seem a silly question, but how do you feed a snake two pinkies? Do you wiggle both at the same time, or give one, wait for it to be swallowed and then give the next. I've got a few more feeds before Kelloggs will be on the double pinkies but I'd just like to get my head around what I'll be doing!

Thanks

1.0 'Normal' corn - Kelloggs

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  20:02:34  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wait till the first one is about 1/2 way down his body and then offer the second :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Ethancol
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  15:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi mate, when do you plan on feeding him doubles? Because funnilu enough I got my snake same day as you ajd he's also the same age!!

1.0.0 "Ghost" a 7 month old Snow corn, acquired 23/05/12.
Go to Top of Page

Andrea49
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  15:55:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to wait a couple of feeds but then try him on one I think. Going to get some decent scales for weighing him so that I can monitor the weight as well. He's settled in nicely now - just had a bit of a bad shed previous to us getting him, but it's sorted now and he's a gorgeous red and orange colour.

Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  16:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There have been several posts with feeding guidelines which for some reason I can't find, was hoping to be able to put a link to one of them so you had a pointer of what size to feed with regards to weight of snake.
Pretty sure it originates from OketeeMick, this is what I have written down as a GUIDE:
single pink, 6 days - Snake 4-15g
large pink(or 2 small pinks), 7 days - Snake 16-25g
fuzzie, 7 days - Snake 26-40g
Small, 7 days - Snake 41-80g
small x 2, 7 days - Snake 81-120g
Mouse, 7-14 days - Snake 121+g
Hope this is of some use and I'm sure if different some one else will correct me, but I use it as a guide only

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

Andrea49
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  16:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that black cat! I'd seen it somewhere on the forum but couldn't remember what thread. It's handy to have a guide. I realise every corn is different too but a basic guide is quite handy

Go to Top of Page

alib
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  17:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i heard that you shouldn't feed twice in 1 go and you should wait for the first pinky to be pood out before you feed it another 1, is this true?
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  17:37:08  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The guide is the munsoon guide, some go by it some don't. Most just feed what is appropriate. Nothing wrong with feeding double pinkies at a time as they jump from pinkie to fluff it to big so once one pinkie doesn't leave a bump start to feed double pinkies until the snakes the right size to start taking fluffs.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

kelly x
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  19:41:10  Show Profile  Click to see kelly x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I feed my 8 1/2 month corn 2 pinkies at the same time, I wait for him to eat one and move around a little and then offer the next one :) I have done this a few times now and have had no problems.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000