New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  00:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all was just wonting to know how each of u deal with this hot weather and your corn snakes over the last few days i have had my heat mats turned off in the day as the temps in the vivs was getting quite hot today with the mats being off the tempa have still been 30/31 i do put them back on at night but was just wanting to know if any of u have found this and do the same thigs as me with turning the mats off or if u have any better ideas my snakes are in the coolest room in my house thanks for all replys xx

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  01:08:33  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive had my monster fan and dehumidifier on in the living room and the snake temps havent budged think ive been more bothered by the heat than they have lol

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  02:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No need to turn off the mats if they are properly statted. The viv temp will still reach the ambient room temperature. 30/31 degrees should not be any real problem in the short term. About the only thing you can do is maybe put in a larger water dish and change the water a couple of times during the day. Make sure that the vivs are not in direct sunlight as that will cause the temps to rocket.

I have taken my snakes out and left the doors open and let the fan blow over them to try and at least change the 'cooked' air and freshen it up a bit.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  02:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've been checking temps regularly over the last few days, in case of heat problems, but not seen any difference at all in the wooden vivs. only the one baby king snake that lives in a faun has had her temps spiraling all over the place- i opened windows to created a through-draught and that helped a bit, but not massively. if it gets much worse i might do what i do for the guinea pigs in hot weather; freeze bottles of water and leave the frozen bottles to defrost inside the hutch/tank- they absorb a lot of the heat from the air and also condense any moisture in the air- ive seen piggies licking the bottles in years past... funny little things, they are

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  07:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im in Tenerife at the moment so cant do much for my snakey :-(

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  09:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Baldy says there's no need to turn off statted mats as they will shut off if the desired temp is surpassed. No point in worrying just enjoy the sun

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  12:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it's not just me worrying about the heat! My viv stack has been fine, the stat has turned the heat mats off, not seen them on at all the last few days and the temperature has stayed about 29. It's the exo terra I'm having trouble with, and it's been reading 33 at certain times during the day and that's with the stat turning the heat mat off

Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  13:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a second bowl in the cool end which i put a couple of cubes of ice if it hits 30*C. It usually drops again after 20 mins or so. It did get to 35*C in there so I got an Ice pack thing for cool boxes and wrapped it up in a tea towel in put it in there on the cool end.

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Felicity (Flick) (Normal Het Albino BCI 0.1)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Maisie (Hypo het Albino BCI 0.1)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  13:29:15  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Only thing I've noticed is that there is only 1/2 degree difference between the hot and cool end temps so there is no temperature gradient to give a choice.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  13:44:20  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just given my bigger water bowls so they can go f or a dip if they feel like it

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  14:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by viraleye

Im in Tenerife at the moment so cant do much for my snakey :-(

Hmm - when everyone else is out buying heat mats, you need to buy your snakey a fridge!

Great idea about the ice cubes in the water bowls. Corno is fine in her viv, but Embers faun is hotter than I would like. I saw her resting her neck in the water bowl yesterday. I'd really like to get her a bigger bowl, but her faun is so tiny there isn't room!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  15:01:38  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't do anything

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  16:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I don't do anything

Haha, same! Just let them get on with it, all fine!
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  17:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have stats and they are turning the mats off but the temps are still getting hot in the vivs ive turned the lot off today and the temps are still 31 in the hole viv i put it all back on at night so temps are stable then just was wondering what everyone els was doing thanks for all replys

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  17:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
of course the viv is still hot, its just the weather we are having just now. there is no point turning any het sources off, if they are properly statted the heatmats and lights wont make it any warmer than the ambient temps of the room they are in.

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  17:52:57  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sonnys temps are all okies, thank god for stats i say

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  18:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've got windows open but haven't seen to much of a temp change in the fauns, 8 was out sunbathing for most of yesterday and as for jinx he's been hiding away all weekend (i suspect he could be getting ready to shed) they both have water bowls that are big enough for them to bath in should they chose to.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page