Vivarium help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  19:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, this is my first post as I have just joined the forum. I am a complete beginner to having cornsnakes and bought my first one in April.

I have recently decided to upgrade her tank as I had her in the plastic faunarium I got as part of a starter kit. Today I visited a reptile shop and purchased a 3 ft wooden vivarium complete with a heat light fitting and a red heat bulb?? (on their advice, I just handed over the money)

Where I am starting to get confused though is the heating of the tank. I have used heat mats with a thermostat on the previous kit, but this time I have the heat light.. I did purchase a thermostat for the heat light though.

My question is.. Is the heat light suitable on its own? As I have read that cornsnakes need belly heat? Where should I go from here? Do I use the light, a mat or both? I am a complete newbie and I'm just trying to build the perfect home for her on my limited knowledge.

Sorry for such a long winded post but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  20:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aye you can use a heatlamp on its own, better with infra red lighting or ceramic so it doesnt cause any hassles being on permanantly,

Lighting is just as good as mats for heating corns they can take the heat from all over the body.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  20:10:51  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mat or lamp is fine for a corn, so long as a mat is statted and a lamp is statted with a guard, it's personal preference really. I found that lamps consume a bit more electric and I have my snakes in my bedroom so the red light really annoyed me so I switched to mats.

The belly heat thing is kinda rubbish, as bulbs heat substrate and the air whilst mats heat the substrate, so either meathod they are getting "belly heat"

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  08:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you have them already you can of course use a combination of both, have the bulb on a timer say for 12hrs and the mat on 24/7 set slightly cooler giving you a day/ night setup. As sta~ple has rightly said ignore the belly heat nonsense.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the light is completely fine to use then? It's going to sound stupid but all I know is the bulb is red... This will be fine? The light and thermostat is already installed in the vivarium.

Would I be better off putting the heat mat and matstat in, and leave the heat mat on 24/7 and only use the light throughout the day and off at night, or can I keep the light on at all times, obviously using the thermostat? If I have to turn the light off, how long should I be keeping it on for?

I know I really should have run through all of this with the shop as I was buying it, but I just presumed that they would know best. But by the time I have got home, the doubts have started rolling in and wondering of ive bought the right equipment.
Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add, it's a 40w bulb. I was told to use this in summer and move to a 60w in winter. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:28:29  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would put the mat in as well and run a day/night setup as okeetee Mick said. Does the bulb have a guard around it so snakey won't get burned?

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes there is a guard around the bulb, if I am going to use both, what settings should I be using on the thermostat? I haven't moved her into her new vivarium yet but I currently have the stat on 28
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:59:20  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you are running the lamp at 28 in the day maybe 26 on the mat at night? Not too sure as I just have a mat set to 28ish all the time, my concern would be how the drop in temp would affect digestion when he has eaten. It happens in the wild so I suppose it would not be a bad thing just might take a bit longer to digest. Hopefully someone who has this sort of a setup will post to clarify.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  20:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The current setup is using a heat mat on 28 without a light, it's just a faunarium starter kit. Im upgrading her to a proper vivarium that has a light installed, but when I bought the new setup I was told I could put my current one on eBay and get some money back as I wouldn't need the heat mat, mat stat and other bits. The main confusion is that I have never dealt with lights before as I'm currently using the heat mat. Plus reading horror stories online about belly heat and rotting mice inside her belly that can't digest as there isn't a heat mat
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  20:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best way to use both heat sources is to have the bulb/ceramic on a dimming stat and timer for 12 hours set at 28 degrees, the heat mat should be on 24/7 set at around 24/25. When the bulb goes off the mat stat will detect the cooling temp and kick in. I use this system in one of my 4ft vivs and it works very well.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  22:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers for all the help guys, I'm starting to understand a bit better now. Sorry for the serious newbie questions.

I have since researched what I have actually purchased. The kit consists of:

3ft wooden vivarium
Arcadia ceramic bulb holder
50w infared bulb - exo terra
Habistat thermostat
Bulb guard/cage
I have also upgraded to an extra large water bowl as she can't really fully fit in the current one.

I already have 2 cave hides and a wooden hide,
Some artificial plants
Heat mat with Habistat matstat
2 x digital thermometers, one for each side

I think that with all of this I should be able to have a good vivarium setup? I don't know if it's worth buying a hydrometer for when she is shedding? The main reason for this is she has had a rough shed to which I learnt it was not humid enough. Or would it be worth buying moss for when she comes into "blue" next?

Again I thank your for your help and sorry to be a pain...
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  23:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just make sure it's a dimming stat as a mat/pulse stat will make the bulb flicker.
I have only had one bad shed so I've never found the need for any moss etc.

Edited by - Okeetee Mick on 26/05/2012 23:06:11
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  23:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or buy something like the exo terra thermometer/hygrometer that does both. They're not too expensive neither

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page