Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  12:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all! New to corn snakes, and new to the forum
So, I'm getting my very first corn snake soon, and the terrarium is gonna be standing almost right next to my guinea pigs' cage. There's gonna be under a meters distance between terrarium and cage. So, my question is, how good is the corn snakes sense of smell? Will it be able to smell the pigs from that distance? Will the smell of prey be in the air constantly for the corn snake? Or can it not smell them from that distance? Also, what will happen if I have my guinea pigs' scent on my clothes when handling the corn snake?

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  12:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he will eat you...... only kidding i dont think it will matter too much but someone with more experience will be along shortly im sure

Go to Top of Page

Tasha89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  16:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There might be a problem keeping pigs next to snakey if he gets out and is big enough im sure he will eat them. I dont know whether this will have too much of an effect on him he might just get annoyed that he can smell dinner but cant get to it. Also if you smell of the pigs and go to handle him there might be a risk he will strike at you, however when i feed my 4 together and pick one up after the other after feeding they dont strike for me.

the best bet is to maybe put him in another room jiust to be safe instead of waking up to no pigs!!

Tasha
______
4.0.0 - Corns - Hypo-Lavender (Lucifer), Bubblegum Snow (Houdini), Striped Carolina (Sarafino) and Black Cat (Ralphie)
0.2.0 - Corns - Anertheristic (Valentina), Lavender (Aiyana), Lavender (Di-nixi)
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  16:45:29  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I dont think a corn snake would get big enough to eat ginea pig.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  16:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah, corn wouldn't be big enough to munch one of them. Also, I'm not sure it would bother him, as Guineapigs smell different to mice and rats.
Go to Top of Page

Tasha89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  16:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry...lol...just actually realised how big pigs get *slaps forehead*

Tasha
______
4.0.0 - Corns - Hypo-Lavender (Lucifer), Bubblegum Snow (Houdini), Striped Carolina (Sarafino) and Black Cat (Ralphie)
0.2.0 - Corns - Anertheristic (Valentina), Lavender (Aiyana), Lavender (Di-nixi)
Go to Top of Page

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  17:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha yea, my pigs are huge and plump lol i doubt even a full grown corn snake could eat them?
but i'm not so much worried about he will get out and eat them, because i'm gonna make sure it's gonna be impossible for him. to get out. i'm mainly concerned about how much he will be able to smell the pigs. don't want to have him smelling food constantly :( the thing is, i don't have another room to put the snake in

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  00:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha that would be an impressive 8 foot Boa sized Corn snake, lol.

Sense of smell wise, they have a very very good directional sense of smell. They will not only know the pig is there but what it had for dinner, lol. As to whether that will be a problem for the snake, I don't think so, it will get used to that smell as the norm. Not sure how piggy will react to a snake been near though that is if it even notices.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  00:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the longer the corn is near them, the more he will realise it is a normal smell, and not the smell of prey.
might be very interested at first.
i wouldnt worry about it too much. if it can smell the pig all the time it should get used to it :)

welcome to the forum by the way, and you're gonna love keeping a corn :D

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

Rachel
Hatchling

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  07:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corn is in the same room as my Guinea pigs, hasn't caused any issues for us (not even when one of mine gave birth)
Go to Top of Page

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  10:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neidr

My corn is in the same room as my Guinea pigs, hasn't caused any issues for us (not even when one of mine gave birth)

great!!!

Go to Top of Page

Starmist
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  10:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snake is housed near my very small hamster! He's never shown any interest him, but I think that's because we had the hamster before the snake and that's the normal smell :) Think your guinea pigs will be safe :)

Go to Top of Page

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starmist

My snake is housed near my very small hamster! He's never shown any interest him, but I think that's because we had the hamster before the snake and that's the normal smell :) Think your guinea pigs will be safe :)

that's great!! now that i got my snake, it doesn't seem like he can smell the pigs

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000