New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oleary1982
Hatchling

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  04:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every time I enter his viv to get him out he goes on a mad one rattling his tail whilst darting up his vine so I can't get him. How can I get him settled?

0.1.0 Citrus Tiger BD
1.0.0 Rainbow Leatherback BD
1.0 Staffie
0.1 Boxer x
0.1.0 Striped Amel
1.0.0 Snow Coral

mgtrock
Egg

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  09:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried carrying a sock or hanky around with you for 24hrs, and then putting it in his viv? Loads of people on here recommend it and a lot of people here will vouch that it works. I assume that he's been left to settle in for at least a week etc

Mine was very skittish the first week or 2, and then settled down, I just made sure I persisted and even when he hissed/rattled I still got him out and kept him out for a while so he could see I wsa no threat.

1.0.0 Carolina Corn (Slash)
1.0.0 British Giant Rabbit (Samson)
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  09:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just get him out, he'll calm down with handling when he realises you dont want to eat him

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

Oleary1982
Hatchling

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  11:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had him over a month now. Left him alone for a week wen I got him an all that. He just seems a real scaredy cat, got a sock on me today to try so fingers crossed.

0.1.0 Citrus Tiger BD
1.0 Staffie
0.1 Boxer x
0.1.0 Striped Amel
1.0.0 Snow Coral
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  11:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah dont worry, a month in the great scheme of things is nothing, how old is he? i've had my corn like 7 months now and sometimes she goes on a runner when i go in, other times she comes out to me when i open the glass, its different

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

Lozzy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1556 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  11:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya another one to vouch for the sock trick but also to put your mind at rest mine hid in her cave for about 2 monthsish and only in the last week or so has become active and what i would say is settled so don't worry too much she'll calm down like everyone said with patience and handling :)

0.1 CB10 Snow Cornsnake - Galaxy ~(Currently MIA)
1.0 CB11 Ultramel Anery Consnake -Orion
0.1 CB11 Lavender Cornsnake - Star
0.1 Leopard Gecko-Simo
1.1 Jack Russell-T.J and Harley (Minature)
1.1 Cats-Rascal and Dizzee
1.0 TB Horse-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  16:26:53  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my milk goes on a 'runner' when ya try n get him takes for ever to catch him speedy ickle thing but he is perfect when out... the rest just bite and/or rattle but they calm down eventually with persistance (i just dont bother). specially if its a baby aswell just be patient regular handeling (apart from after feeding etc) i wouldnt like this giant thing grabbing me :s i would also throw a tantrum lol

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Oleary1982
Hatchling

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  22:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's a late cb10 nearly 3 ft, now when he tail rattles and half hartedly strikes should I be forcefull and grab him ( If I do this I Will have to pull him from his vine) or leave him? Thinking of taking the vine out for the time being.

0.1.0 Citrus Tiger BD
1.0 Staffie
0.1 Boxer x
0.1.0 Striped Amel
1.0.0 Snow Coral

Edited by - Oleary1982 on 23/05/2012 23:16:25
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  23:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i didnt mean that forceful haha, i just meant be confident, dont go in and go maybe i should maybe i shouldnt, with your hands waving about infront of him, then he's more likely to strike, also is he maybe going into shed? thats the only time when mine rattles. could take the vine out if it helps

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  23:27:07  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe take the vine out first to make it easier for you when you go in to handle, just be confident, use a flat hand and come in from the side and gently scoop him up. He may rattle and strike but if you back off when he does this then he will think that he can do it and you will go away all the time when he does. Small handleing sessions should get him used to you and more confident being handled by you so he does not think he is your dinner and you are not a threat. Patience and persistance is needed, good luck.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  23:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah sometimes these sausages need showing who is boss, not in a way you could hurt them but you get a hold of them around the middle and lift them out, any decor they grab can either come with them or use your other hand to free them from it. It amazes me how an animal with no hnds is so capable at grabbing on to everything within reach when you get them out.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Oleary1982
Hatchling

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  23:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adamasrc

i didnt mean that forceful haha, i just meant be confident, dont go in and go maybe i should maybe i shouldnt, with your hands waving about infront of him, then he's more likely to strike, also is he maybe going into shed? thats the only time when mine rattles. could take the vine out if it helps

Yh that prob sounded like I was gonna yank him out like a heartless b******d, I'm proberly to soft with him, now would it b best to feed him in his viv or wait till I manage to get hold of him?

0.1.0 Citrus Tiger BD
1.0 Staffie
0.1 Boxer x
0.1.0 Striped Amel
1.0.0 Snow Coral
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  09:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote