Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Primrose22
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  22:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its been a week of odd comments.

First was friday. A work colleague found out i now had a snake and literally went off on one at me. Accused me all sorts of things but mosly being an irresponsible parent . Totally shocked, i asked this normally calm and reasonable person what the matter was. She said, and i quote....." you've brought a killer under your roof, arent you scared it will break out of its cage, go upstairs and eat your children?!".

I have to admit i was somewhat stunned by this comment bearing in mind poor
Linguini is literally like a piece of spaghetti ( i've found bigger earthworms) but then my cartoon filter switched on at the thought of Linguini, who's terrified of my kids, doing somekind of ninja escape from his viv and getting up stairs and trying to eat them. It was like a Far Side sketch. So of course, now i am giggling, the woman is outraged that i think its funny that my children are at risk..... And threatens to inform child protection! At this point i'm like WTF.... And point out that i also have a 10 stone Newfoundland who measures more than 6 ft on his hind legs and that i have never lost so much as a millisecond's worth of sleep over the security of my or anyone else's children in my house. She was having nothing of it and went off tut tutting me.

Then, today, a friend told me a "true" story : her friend's cousin had a python which was often allowed out and about the house and this python liked sleeping alongside said friend's cousin. She loved him alongside her but the vet said she must get rid of it as Snakey was size-ing her up in order to estimate whether it could eat her or not.
Now i immediately dismissed this as some crank urban legend, but friend got annoyed and inisisted it was true.

They are both crazy right ????
Someone reassure me please that i am not a deranged irresponsible parent for having a 30 cm cornsnake in my house ?

Yours, hopefully not the crazy snake lady,
Xx

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  22:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all true im afraid and those pythons also talk see below

your friends are talking nonsense, those stories have been around since cavemen learned how to draw :D

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  22:37:56  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Killer corn snake, I love it some people are just uneducated and some are deluded. I will let you decide what your work colleague is

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Primrose22
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  22:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omg the t- shirt is hysterical!
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  22:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, the old 'python sizing someone up' story. It makes it sound like they carry around tape measures...

I also had this story recited by the less intelligent labour I have at work. They wondered why I started laughing before the 'story' was finished.

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Jonny89
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  23:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your colleague is totally correct how irresponsible of you! Bringing a 12ft monster to feed on your children... Just tell them where to go and if they don't shut up you'll release it into their house.

Geoffrey-Stripe Corn Snake
Corby-Coc.ker Spaniel

Go to Top of Page

Tasha89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  23:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was once admiring some snakes in my local snake shop and the funniest thing happened. I asked the shop owner to let me hold the lavender i now own and a family walked in and the kid was interested. At this point the mum told the boy to stand back (why they came into the shop i will never know) anyway...i pointed out that i would put my snakes next to a child as they are that friendly to which the woman looked like she had seen a ghost and had a face of disgust!! my friend who also owns a snake pointed out(no offence to your dog at all as im sure its the friendliest doggy ever but she just wanted to prove a point) a corn snakes teeth are tiny and arent designed to rip human skin apart...a dogs teeth are designed to rip and your hear of dogs doing this in the newspaper...my friend then went on to ask the woman 'would you leave a dog with a child'...the woman didnt have a thing to say all the while my now snake was slithering around my arms harmless as anything with a 'dont i look so cute' look on his face

No you arent crazy at all people just arent educated enough these days to realise that snake can be amazing pets, any animal has the ability to 'turn/react' under the wrong circumstance snakes, dogs or any other animal

Tasha
______
4.0.0 - Corns - Hypo-Lavender (Lucifer), Bubblegum Snow (Houdini), Striped Carolina (Sarafino) and Black Cat (Ralphie)
0.2.0 - Corns - Anertheristic (Valentina), Lavender (Aiyana), Lavender (Di-nixi)
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  06:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my friends, sisters boyfriend was acctually eaten by a big python but we covered it up so the anti's wouldnt find out what happened an stop us keeping large snakes. true story

1.0.0 baird's rat snake, jeff 1.0.0 royal, derek 1.0.0 royal, frank 0.1.0 dog jenny 1.0.0 bull snake, ivan 0.1.0 bull snake, mavis 0.1.0 chilean rose, Bernadette 1.0.0 hognose, chuck 1.0.0 BCI, william

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
facebook(mention the forum) http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/profile.php?id=623879643

to live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  09:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cuts down the food bills..

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  09:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also find it rude when someone comes into your home looks at your reptiles and goes 'they're absolutely disgusting' had this twice now, first time i didnt know what to say i was pretty shocked! second time i wasn't too happy.. its not like i'd go into their house and tell them that they're kitten was vile and sterilisation was probably the best method of dealing with this threat.

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

Tasha89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  11:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some people are just silly and think that a pet has to have fur and like being stroked. I have has a few people tell me that they are ungly and how can i think they are cute. Dont know if its only me but some of the things they do are cute :) especially when they pop there heads round things or out of their hut to look out, whenever i walk into my room i can always count on Lucifer poping his head out of his hut to say hello, puts a smile on my face everytime.

Tasha
______
4.0.0 - Corns - Hypo-Lavender (Lucifer), Bubblegum Snow (Houdini), Striped Carolina (Sarafino) and Black Cat (Ralphie)
0.2.0 - Corns - Anertheristic (Valentina), Lavender (Aiyana), Lavender (Di-nixi)
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  11:16:10  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would throw a spanner in the works about pythons an what they do, but il keep it go me self wouldn't want to scare you all

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  13:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
been LMAO reading the posts above the snake eating a human story is a classic. as for your work mate, i would say her obvious dual personalities would be more dangerous to a child then any snake would be...

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  16:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PMSL! You colleague is a bloody eejit!

I've lost more skin and blood to a kitten than any child eating serpent.

Did you realize that the pattern on all snakes is anatomically calibrated to the size of child it is able to swallow?

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.

Edited by - Auld Baldy on 22/05/2012 16:33:08
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  16:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

I would throw a spanner in the works about pythons an what they do, but il keep it go me self wouldn't want to scare you all

im interested now

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

Tasha89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  17:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adamasrc

quote:

im interested now

Me too!

Tasha
______
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  17:25:23  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tasha89

quote:
Originally posted by adamasrc

quote:

im interested now

Me too!

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23129

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  17:26:11  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They make you lose ur focus so u fall down the stairs and break your foot, dont they chris :P

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  17:26:43  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
gah, u beat me to it :P

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  17:29:48  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

They make you lose ur focus so u fall down the stairs and break your foot, dont they chris :P

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  18:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was about to laugh, but those stories are all true! corns are killers dont you know they have 'POISON' lmao
feel sorry for poor Bumble, he must have got such a scare!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: