HELP & INFO & AM I DOING IT RIGHT NOW
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GRUMPY
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  15:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi people since being a kid i always wanted a snake i used to hold familys friends snakes for as long as i could and just loved them , Anyway just over 7 years ago i got my first corn he was a baby more like a worm lol i belive he is a amelanistic corn snake , Things was going great used to get him out a few times a week and his was a great snake. But then i got told snakes hate to be out and about when there moving there stressed ? i was never one to use the internet so it got me thinking maybe my snake when out the tank is moving around he just wants to get away and is not having fun. So after this i stoped geting him out out as much i got him a huge tank well i have been told its big for a corn ? 4ft x 2ft x 2ft he had just about everything a snake could want in there and i just got him out for very very short times when he needed cleaning etc.. This was fine but his now just over 7 years old and this year i found websites like this and started reading up and it looks like i have been wrong ? He started to get jumpy when trying to get him out very jumpy and if honest he started to make me jumpy , We are not worried about him but worry for him as also got told if a corn did bite and you jumped and pulled away you can give them damage ?

Now after reading hours and hours on this GREAT website we feel that maybe our snake ( boris ) is happy when out and the more we handle him the better and less stress he will be in the long run :)?

If i say how we are doing it could someone please tell him we are doing things right or wrong and how we need to change ?

First the snake is just over 7 years old i would say his about 5ft long

He eats in his cage ( just been reading up this is not good ) but his never been worried or snaped at anyone. Well the only strike ever made was once when he was eating when very young and someone made him jump when watching but it was a warning and strike at the viv glass this was years ago.

He has always been in the front room where people are most the day so his used to people walking past and being around ?

When you touch him to pick him up his very very jumpy

only problem we have ever had is once every few years he may go off feeding for 2 months.

And once in blue moon he will only eat white mice not dark colour mice ? strange ?

Now for how we have been with him and how we plan to be with him.

(1) Due to him being very jumpy we only plan on getting him out once a week for a few weeks first ?

(2) When geting him out last night we took everything out his viv and with a snake hook slowly from the middle picked him up and put him down he was a bit jumpy but we kept at this until he stoped being jumpy.

(3) With gloves on ( just in case ) we scooped him up from the middle under body and slowly pulled him out tank , We only handled him for 5 mins then put him back.

How should we go from here ? should we just do this once a week a couple of days after feeding for a few weeks or should we do it more ? to start with ?

One other thing i would like to know is how long do amelanistic corn snakes live for i am hoping him being just over 7 i am not stressing the old boy out ?

And just any tips on handling and this type of corn snake

Please please we love our snake to bits so please do not think where we did not get him out a lot and he has just been left in a viv with no care his viv is a palace for him with so much to do and always clean and people puting hands in to change water etc.. it was more geting him out that was not often due to us thinking he was stressed when out as in wild they like to be left well alone.

I have been told by so many people so many different ages they live to some say 10 years some say 12 years and other 25 years the longer the better for me as he really is a great little pet.

Just any info would be great as want him to be as happy as he can be.

I am very sorry for the long post i just wanted to get everything i needed to know out in one hit lol hope you dont mind ?

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  15:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just start getting him used to being handled again,just get him out 10 mins at a time. when he goes off his food for a few months at a time it's probably due to the breeding season,so nothing to worry about. they can live up to 25 years. i'd try not to use a snake hook if you can,it won't help in the long run. at his age feeding every 7-10 days is enough. temperature should be between 27-29 at the warm end. this is best measured using a digital thermometer with a probe placed directly on the heat mat.

Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  15:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't need to use a hook to get him out, just go in and scoop him out! Corns in captivity if cared for properly can live 20+ years. He needs to get used to being handled again, so (what I'd do) take Boris out for a few minutes everyday other than the 48 hours after feeding.

Maybe do the sock thing (carry a clean one around for 24hours then put in his viv) and let him remind himself of your scent?

Someone with more experience will be able to help more than me and no doubt will be along soon :)

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  15:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kev beat me to it :)

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  16:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think if you've made it 7 years then you must be doing something right.

As above the main thing is that your setup be safe and provide lots to hide in/under/behind/on.

Handling wise I think handling is for our benefit mainly but I do think it helps keep the snake calm around us knowing we dont hurt them. Gloves and hooks in my opinion is not required for a corn snake, the term just get stuck in comes to mind, I always make some fuss in the substrate near them so they know I'm there, I wouldn't want to take them by surprise. Then I hold my hand flat and come in from the side of them, just get a hold of a bit of body and scoop them up, if they wriggle thats fine, its a snake after all lol. 10 minutes, here, 20 minutes there should have it at least calm.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  16:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by serena_08

Corns in captivity if cared for properly can live 20+ years

Thats a bit ambitious.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  16:43:24  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Handle him regularly for 5 to 10 minutes every day and he will get used to you. The more you handle him, the more relaxed he will become. Eventually he will settle and be content to crawl over your hands, arms and shoulders.

No need for a hook or gloves, just scoop him up and support him with both hands. He will then get his tail anchored and start exploring you.

The viv is on the big side but as long as you have a couple (or more) hides and some logs for him to clamber around on, he will be fine. Large tubes such as those from a carpet store make great hides and give him something to explore. A simple shelf with a layer of aspen can make a great lookout tower. My Big T spends half his time up on it. He's also about 7 years old.

Give him 48 hours to rest and digest after feeding. I usually let mine decide when it's playtime when they become active. I also give them time to poop. This saves on carpet cleaning and laundry.

Just ask about anything else you are uncertain about. There are plenty folk here to give advice.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  17:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by serena_08

Corns in captivity if cared for properly can live 20+ years

Thats a bit ambitious.

'Can' not 'will'.

Everywhere I've read says between 15-20 years and beyond.

Go to Top of Page

GRUMPY
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  20:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thanks for all your posts back ( its been a help ) Care wise we really do look after him his viv is on the big side but there are great hides all over warm end and cool end and where he is in the front room his always out and about when we are near him , Its more handling side of it i have been reading most snakes die of stress and was worried if i started geting him out now being 7 years old it might stress him but by the looks of it he sounds like his still young being just over 7 thats good news. The gloves was more in case he did bite i would not worry and pull away but as always he was fine. We would love to get him out a few times a week but it was more if it stressed him out we did not want to but on the other hand not geting him out often seemed like when we did get him out it stressed him , When i say stress i mean his very jumpy when picking him up , Other then that his great think we just get him out a few times a week then and get longer and longer each time. I have just seen on this site that corns unlike other snakes do always keep on the move then being handled ? which makes sense now to me thats it normal and not stress , So glad i found this site so much help just reading posts and seems like i am not the only one who worries about handling haha but all honest i just did not want to stress him out its strange but boris is part of the family we had him before the kids dogs and other pets haha. Think we will bin the snake hook and just rattle the wood to let him know we are there from now on. LOL @ Auld baldy ( I also give them time to poop. This saves on carpet cleaning and laundry ) Broris did freak me out one time i see him when holding him pint his tail right in the air lets just say i wish it was on the bloody carpet but no it was on me haha. Thanks all for your post they have all been a big help glad i found this site. and very happy they live well over 10 years as can not wait to get our little son handling him aswel. And going to try the sock trick now aswel even though i think boris is ok once picked up i think that is 100% worth a ago also thanks again people i am sure i will be back with more silly things to ask soon haha
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  21:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck with the handling, am sure once he gets used to being handled again he will soon calm down.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  19:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww I think the saddest thing about your post is that you have missed out on handling him for the last few years! As above, little and often and he will soon calm down. You say he's often out when you are about - you could also try just opening the viv door and seeing if he will come out of his own accord?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000