Snake Photography
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  15:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone! I've been speaking to quite a lot of people lately actually of snakie photography, so I'm going to write a thread (which may hopefully be stickied) sometime soon with some hints and tips on how to take pics of snakes, and the equipment you need to do so!

If anyone has anything they'd like to see on this thread, jot it down and I'll do my best to include it!

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  16:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look forward to it,i'm useless at taking pictures

Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  17:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that. Close ups that aren't blurry would be nice :-)

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  17:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ohh will be watching this closely, i definalty need all the tips i can get! how to get decent head shots and photos which aren't blurry would be a good start :-)

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

claire_daz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  18:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And me does sunlight affect the colouring of snakes and what back ground is best for which coloring i have loads of questions lol
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  20:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All taken on board. I'll make sure I answer all of these points

Blurring should be easy to explain, and as for sunlight- yes it does, and so do other kinds of light, which I'll go into detail about!

Hoping to write this up tomorrow morning. Keep the suggestions coming in!

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  20:10:26  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ideas on how to keep snakey still would be good

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  20:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You dont keep snakey still you use a high ISO setting (the higher the ISO the smaller the time required for the shutter on the camera to be open and this reduces blurring) on your camera either manually setting it or using the sports mode.

Flashes will ruin most pictures of shiny bodied animals so good lighting it essential, daylight is best but a well lit room will do, if you must use flash to cut out some of its harshness cover it with a cigarette paper.

You get better pictures when you are closer to the subject rather than zoomed in, if you have a macro lens or macro mode (or both) on your camera then use that and get as close as the focus will allow.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Starmist
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  20:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Nikon D3100 and i've got a few good pics of Jake with it, but loads that aren't worth anything! I'm still trying to learn all the buttons on the camera and taking a photography course last year helped, but the class was so busy I never got to ask him the best way to snap a snakey! I shall be interested in reading this post! As my scenery pictures are brilliant, but snakey pics not!!

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  21:54:24  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the best tips are all about how to get a shot in focus, then everything else afterwards - eg. lighting, composition, etc

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  11:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Increasing the ISO value does yield short term results, but it produces horribly grainy pictures, to which the "quality" is fairly poor. Also, distance to subject makes no difference so long as optical zooms are used rather than digital. Quality of the lens makes more difference to this than anything else.

Oscar Morrell
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  11:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could go fully into the ins and outs of taking a good photo but it would have taken all day (or 2 years at college studying Photography like I did) it was a few tips for those without the full knowledge of everything a camera can do. Digital cameras are incredible at doing all the work for you in different settings, and the closeness to subject was for the standard/basic digital camera and also the closer you are and the less you use optical or digital zoom the less hand shake becomes an issue, or you have to go into the realm of tripods and remote shutter release (or use the timer as pressing the button shakes the camera).

haha do you still have the 0.0.1 spider in the bathroom?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  13:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep- If you're holding by hand, then yes distance would become an issue in terms of shaky hands, but the idea of this post was just going to be a rough guide for beginners to know what to do. I wasn't going to write a post with silly amounts of detail because it would be confusing to a lot of people. Some nice simple tips and hints was going to be the object behind this. I always use tripods and remote shutters, you can't do professional Macro shots without them really, and remote flashes for water shots- but that doesn't need to be said on here.

And I think there are probably more, but they're not pets

Oscar Morrell
Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  14:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is why I don't get into discussions with other photographers. :p I just stick to my tripod and my bronica for my snakey pics. Though I don't scan the negs in I just print em.

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Felicity (Flick) (Normal Het Albino BCI 0.1)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Maisie (Hypo het Albino BCI 0.1)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  17:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
please do keep it simple cos some of those words went straight over my head lol!! like ISO whats that?!

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  18:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Redshift Spec

This is why I don't get into discussions with other photographers.

Haha there is no disagreement here, all of the above is true. Its difficult to put technique onto paper as the tiniest difference in light, subject, location etc makes a difference to how you capture it best. The funniest thing is I have photography equipment worth thousands of pounds but find the camera on my phone good enough to not warrant setting it all up for general day to day snapping. I'm also old school, I love using good old film.

If I remember this rightly, if anyone wants to know what a good photo looks like for capturing snakes ask Doogle. His hatchling pictures are faultless.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000