New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xXSnakeyXx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  20:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi My Snake Has A Shedding Problem, I Have Noticed That His Tail Has Got Layers Of Shed On It And It Has Gone Black. Also It Was Bleeding When I Picked Him Up And I'm Very Worried!
Any Help?

Thanks -Lewis

- Amel Corn Snake (Corny)
-Cat (Prince)
- 2x Fish

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  20:09:59  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
unfortunately it does seem like its gone too far to be saved, but he wont notice any different, it'll just come away and leave a little stump

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  20:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as above, you must check after every shed, to make sure that all the shed has come off, it will drop off and may bleed a little.

if it does bleed i suggest that you swap his beeding for kitche roll just until healed. xx

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  21:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree with scaly and say that he will certainly be noticing the difference now because his tail is essentially rotting off and would be kind of painful... There's nothing you can do about it now of course. But you could have prevented it by helping him remove the shed from the tail tip. It takes all of 30 secs!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

xXSnakeyXx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  21:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will It Grow Back??
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  21:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no it won't grow back,shouldn't look to bad though

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  21:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe next time put moss box in the viv as it will help with the shedding

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  21:23:48  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

I have to disagree with scaly and say that he will certainly be noticing the difference now because his tail is essentially rotting off and would be kind of painful... There's nothing you can do about it now of course. But you could have prevented it by helping him remove the shed from the tail tip. It takes all of 30 secs!

I have to agree with you there. I know on some snakes it may be hard to see if the shed has come off, specially even more if they shed bad, but a good peer and a feel work, heck even a run through a damp flannel even if your not sure. I'd maybe have some kind of antiseptic or wound aid ready just incase it starts to look bad once the dead part has dropped off.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  22:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shouldnt hurt too much really, if all circulation is lost.. wouldnt be pleasant i have to admit!

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  16:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All it takes is checking shed making sure tail tip and eye caps are there,takes 2 seconds, if not, then have snake go through damp towel, if not working a shallow warm bath

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  18:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would go so far as to go to a vet and get the section of tail removed cleanly and avoid the possibility of infection getting into the bone because if that happens its bye bye snake.

I have a 9 gram albino House snake that retained its tail tip, it was totally invisible on the snake but obvious it was missing from the shed and you could feel it, a quick wet down and it popped off quite easily.

Them losing their tail absolutely is a big deal in as much as an essential part of their care has been overlooked and it has resulted in a part of the snakes body losing blood flow and dying. I am not throwing blame as i dont know the history of this snake but I think getting the tail fixed at the vets and then properly cared for in the future is the best thing to do for the snake.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Corns7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  09:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How far down his body is it?

0.1 Carolina corn-Willameana

1.0 springer spaniel- Seb

1.0 shih tzu- Charlie

0.1 black cat- Luna
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  10:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think what scaly was saying is once it has gone, depending on how much has gone the snake wont notice the difference, of cause when its in the process of dropping off it will hurt, its like one of your fingers suffering frost bite, but for now i would agree with lotabob take your snake to a vet even if ots just to get her checked over
Go to Top of Page

marlin
Egg

53 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  18:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellogs has retained his tail tip at every shed since we have had him. The first sheds were intact other than this and was fairly easy to tell. The last couple have been really scrappy and we have really scrutinised his tail to check. Last time we were pretty sure it had come off successfully but we ran him through wet kitchen roll anyway and guess what - a bit of skin came away.

What would happen in the wild? Or are they so far removed from their non-captive bred cousins now that they are loosing self sufficiency???

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000