Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Connies dad
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  18:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lost Connie, my corn nearly 2 weeks ago. I've tried leaving out brained pinkies (she's only a baby) got water everywhere, but I fear she's either left the house or been eaten by one of our dogs. How long should I give it before I accept she's not coming back and replace her?

0.1.0 Amel Corn - Connie (Still MIA)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn - Summer
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
1.0.0 Pastel Royal - Monty
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - awaiting name
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  18:46:20  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't give up hope for a few months at least. You see lots of threads on here of peoples lost snakes turning up months later. I take it you have read the post on help to find a lost snake, just keep on trying with those things :)

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python

Edited by - Donnie on 15/05/2012 18:46:45
Go to Top of Page

Connies dad
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  18:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have, I've tried bottle traps, flour, stripped out her room twice, and the airing cupboard, behind the boiler, fridge etc. There's just no sign that she's anywhere. I'm gutted.

To add to it my wife's not exactly chuffed, it seems a snake in a viv is a whole lot easier to live with than a snake on the run!

Do you think the dogs could/would have eaten her? We've got a pug and an Akita.

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page

Cazzy
Hatchling

105 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  18:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would have thought that the dogs would have barked at her, or made some sort of noise making you aware that she is there but i dont know your dogs! I'm sure she will turn up!

1.0.0 Ultramel anery- Gonzo
1.0.0 Royal python- conan
0.1.0 Rottweiler- Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  19:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're probably the best person to judge if your dogs would have eaten her, i know my spanner would given the chance, where as i know the shep would probably not bother. don't give up hope just yet, as others have said lost corns have turned up months after their inital escape.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

teabicky
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  20:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We lost ours for two weeks, and he turned up near his Viv around the edges of the room. We were advised by everybody not to give up. Although they cant breed in this country they can survive for long periods and we heard stories of snakes turning up 12 months later, in good health and considerably larger!!

Another thing we were told was that it is unlikely that you will find a snake by actively looking, more likely that they will just turn up unexpected. Just check your shoes before you put them on!!

As for the Dogs, it is unlikely that they will attack. They seem to have a natural weariness of Snakes, or just don't understand them so it is more likely that they will just bark. Keep an eye out for any unusual sniffing, they might give you useful clues as to where Connie is. In the event that they do find and attack there would probably be some evidence, it is unlikely they would swallow a snake whole.

I truly empathize with the total panic you must be feeling, it is horrible. I hope Connie turns up soon, keep us posted!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  20:47:26  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
People have lost their corns and some turn up after a year. If your thinking about replacing, it is best to have a second set-up just in case, one that it can't escape from, perhaps a RUB.

I hope she does turn up for you soon though.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  22:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sometimes you find them in quite obvious places, i've lost mine twice (oops) but i found her once on a book case and once under my bed wrapped around a wooden slat. if you decide to have another look, start from the viv and work outwards. also if you have dogs, put them on a lead and walk them around the room, noticed this from my dogs, they started acting funny and sniffing crazy! but don give up hope!

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

Connies dad
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  13:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Still no joy unfortunately, I guess it's just a waiting and hoping game now.

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  14:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

you're probably the best person to judge if your dogs would have eaten her, i know my spanner would given the chance, where as i know the shep would probably not bother. don't give up hope just yet, as others have said lost corns have turned up months after their inital escape.

Same, my Coco would never eat anything without 'asking' if that makes sense.
Like yesterday she found a little silverfish in the kitchen and kept looking at it then up at me, until i said get it then! then she munched it.
they would probably bark at it though.

Don't give up hope for a very very long time. Hardy creatures are snakes, even when they are babies.

Good luck, got my fingers crossed for you.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  15:41:54  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nooo, dont give up yet, granted my snakie only went missing for a week but the cat found the poop :s anyway snakes are alot more harder than people give them credit for am sure she will turn up all about patience but i cant talk patience isnt my strong point :s

But as Stapey has said if you are planning to get another snake get a second set up just in case Connie does turn up :)

Hope she turns up soon :) Fingers crossed

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  15:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we lost our corn little over a week ago and searched everywhere x i looked online and found some great tricks to find him x it turned out he was less than 3ft from his viv x it says to leve a heat mat down with newspaper x bowls of water in corners turn all but one radiatior off preferably the one in the room you kept him in and put your heating on. if you have tiles put flour around all the edges of your rooms so you can track his movement. etc. there is recorded findings of snakes that have been lost for over a year.

ironicly i found mine under the carpet but i would only suggest pulling it up if your really sure he could be there x

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  16:01:22  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no dont give up, i recently found my talula after she was missing for 9.5 weeks and we have 5 cats and 2 dogs!
good luck :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Connies dad
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  16:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure she will turn up when she's hungry. I'm going to get another, but only because the viv I had custom made for her seems far too easy to escape from, so I'm looking at putting a Royal in there and keeping her in her viv with a clamp down lid.

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  16:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope she turns up for you soon

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  18:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't give up hope yet two weeks is a short time in comparison to some that have gone missing then turned up. I know of two people that lost their snakes. One was a hatchling and it was found several weeks later wrapped around the open staircase and the other snake was found inside the pillowcase that was being used on the bed.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  18:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on of my girls went missing for 5 months with her last owner they gave up and got anouther corn and then she turned back up again they found her sat in the middle of the bed one day lol never give up hope of finding a lost snake

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Connies dad
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  11:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still no sign unfortunately. I keep putting mice out ever night. Should I continue, or am I better leaving it for a week and trying again?

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page

Oleary1982
Hatchling

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  11:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have u tried putting old mouse bedding in the bottle traps? It worked for me,

0.1.0 Citrus Tiger BD
1.0.0 Rainbow Leatherback BD
1.0 Staffie
0.1 Boxer x
0.1.0 Striped Amel
1.0.0 Snow Coral
Go to Top of Page

Connies dad
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  16:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oleary1982

Have u tried putting old mouse bedding in the bottle traps? It worked for me,

I don't breed my own mice so I don't have any unfortunately

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  16:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nip to a pet shop, I'm sure they wouldn't miss some dirty mouse bedding!!
seen as she's only a baby you could try it with lizard substrate too, or even lizard shed.

everything is worth a go!

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: