daft question for the Bods
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2012 :  21:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just out of interest, for any of the Knowledgeable Bods out there.... why aren't eggs just left with the mother snake? I've read in a couple of places (not on this site) that removing them can be tricky, as the snake often doesn't want to let go of them-
this implies that perhaps in the wild they would incubate the eggs themselves, like a bird?

so the question I spose, is whether in the wild, corns abandon freshly laid eggs, or look after them? and if it's the second, would they do so in captivity, if left to their own devices???

just curious

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2012 :  22:28:07  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
snakes cant regulate their body temps themself there for they personally cant incubate the eggs. as for leaving them i think thats y they would find a old rabbit hole and bury them so preditors cant get to them. also if left with the eggs i suppose theres a chance she could roll them drowning the embryos. most of all we can help stablise the factors needed for successful hatching

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2012 :  22:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The conditions for a captive corn are different to the conditions eggs need to be incubated.
In the wild the mother would lay them, probably stay with them a while but then go off to hunt and not return. They do not have maternal instincts I dont think.
A bird warms the eggs where as nature incubates snake eggs. And when snakes hatch they hunt for themselves where as birds need their mother to find them food.

Someone may be able to give a better answer than that but I think thats right

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2012 :  23:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the point about temperature (thx marc) makes sense- obviously a snake isn't going to create the necessary warmth for the babies to hatch- so I guess in the wild they would look for somewhere warm to lay..and then just leave the eggs to it- (awww, poor babbies)
so then, WHY do some mummy snakes make it tricky to remove eggs?
its a curiosity, isnt it

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

vetdebbie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2012 :  23:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not really difficult to remove th eggs, it is more a question that she is creamcrackered and doesn't want to move or be touched. The only female I worried about getting off her eggs is our hypo lavender stripe, but then again I worry about getting her water bowl out as she is a b***h!
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2012 :  23:29:40  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
they still dont want preditors to eat the eggs so while they are around i guess they protect them. becauae obviously a preditor could have followed her to her laying spot and waited. look at crocs. they stay close to the nest and when they hatch mum will pick the hatchies up with her powerfull jaws very gently and carry them to the water and then their on the own. but they just protect them from getting eaten.

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  21:12:07  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
burms incubate their own eggs ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  21:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vetdebbie

It's not really difficult to remove th eggs, it is more a question that she is creamcrackered and doesn't want to move or be touched. The only female I worried about getting off her eggs is our hypo lavender stripe, but then again I worry about getting her water bowl out as she is a b***h!

lol, she sounds lovely!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000