HELP! she laid early and my incubator has not arri
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hadlowj
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  18:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, well I was caught by surprise today, I had ordered an incubator, hatchrite and a laybox but non of that is arriving till the 8th, I open up my females cadge today to find that she is laying eggs, I cover her up again as I did not want to upset her but it looked around 10 plump white eggs. But my problem, she has laid them in some sphagnum moss. Now my problem, what do I do with the eggs until the 8th. I have the vivarium my male is in, I thought could I put a male in a small tub and put him in the females vivarium and put the eggs in a Tupperware box with some sphagnum moss until the hatchrite and incubator arrives in the males enclosure, they would be there for 4 days, if so how moist should I keep the moss and how should the eggs look? I will post some pics up soon.

Please Help

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  20:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1st with the spaghnum moss you pour water over the moss then wring out until it stops dripping.
I think all you can do is then put the tub in the viv with a lid on it on the mat and check the temperature, needs to be between 26-29c. if the temperature is o.k they should be o.k untill tuesday.
Ideally an incubator should be run for a few days before putting eggs in,but i don't think you have that option. so keep an eye on the temperature.

Edited by - kev 5 on 04/05/2012 20:08:55
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  20:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing more to add than what has been said but good looking eggs and snakey congrats
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  21:47:41  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the only thing i would add is if u can get the temps right with having the box in the tank then leave them in there till u have the incubator up to temp. it wont shock the eggs then. so u dont have to panic as much put the thermostate sensor in the box and set it between 82°f- 84°f. and once the incubator is up to temp and constant for a couple of hours you can transfer them over and you should be ok

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  21:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would just use a digital thermometer with a probe,place the probe in a box the same as the box your eggs are in. then adjust the incubator temperature as need be,then swap the boxes over

Edited by - kev 5 on 04/05/2012 21:55:18
Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  17:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it seems snakes like to be inconvienient!
i had my incubator up for 2 weeks ready for her!
best of luck :)

Go to Top of Page

hadlowj
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  01:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, just a little update. I put the eggs in a box with some moss and put a thermometer in with them and put them in the males viv as the male is in a container as I have to install a light guard as until recently he shared a viv with the female. 2 of the eggs looks like slugs but most of them I could see veins in the egg using a light :) I fed her after removing the eggs with no problem, fingers crossed all goes well :)

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  10:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck,hope it all goes well

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly