Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hayden764
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  07:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How to Breed Corn Snakes
If you're going to breed corn snakes, it's very important become completely familiar with the snake and its habits. Corn snakes can live in captivity for up to ten years, so make sure you know what you are going to do with the babies.

When do corn snakes breed?
Starting in about April after they emerge from hibernating and the females shed their skin.

How do Snakes Breed?
The male snakes have reproductive organs called hemipenes. The females have a reproductive tract located within their cloaca. The cloaca is an opening found in both male and females.

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  09:37:38  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
just a lil heads up i read in a book that corns live in the wild for up to 15 years in captivity they can live for up to 25 years because they have less to battle against such as virus's

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  10:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also corns will mate any time of the year in captivity. Hibernation / Brumation is also not required for breeding ;)

Good to see a young one researching this though Hayden keep this up :D

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  16:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, efforts.
But it's true, they will breed whenever they feel like it.
In the wild though, the male will look for the female at the start of spring, making it the optimum time for breeders to introduce their male and females.

Don't take it to mean that they can co-habit throughout the year, if they want to breed they will breed, even in winter lol!!

I got some very bad advice from my (old) pet shop when I first got my male. I told him I only had one tank and that I'd need to get another set up before I could buy my Silver, but he assured me they would not breed until spring, and until they were big enough.

I know now obviously that he was lying just to sell me the male snake, and it lead to underaged breeding and a lot of stress for my female and me! I was so worried about egg binding as she was only about 2 and a half feet long at the time.
She up to 3 and a half now and has just given us 11 eggs :) all planned this time and going well!!

Corn's don't care how old they are, or what time of year it is, so just be careful! It's all down to us.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000