New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rochdalesteve
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  22:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My male cornsnake has only eaten once in the last 3 months, during these 3 months it has had trouble shedding twice, the shed splits and a few pieces come off but i have to peel it off myself, im not sure if this is right or wrong, his there anything i can do to help when he next sheds i have tried spraying water in the viv. There is a female corn in a viv ontop of his could this have any effect on his feeding behaviour, the snake seems active enough.

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  22:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what are your temps like, next time he is due a shed put a damp moss hide in.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  13:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You shouldn't peel a snake it can damage to next layer of skin.

If its not shedding correctly then its quite a good indicator something in your husbandry is not right. Most likely humidity during the shedding period. I wouldn't be overly concerned if he isn't eating as there are lots of snakes with other things on their minds right now. Only worry if he starts to lose a lot of weight (i would say the mark to worry is if they lose 10% of their original body weight). It's never I bad idea to just check over all your temperatures and equipment, make sure its all in good working order and doing what it should be doing, other than that patience is your best bet, they soon turn their attentions back to food.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  14:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the shed is bad try letting the snake push itself through some damp kitchen roll or a damp towel. As above you should never pull it yourself, but if you hold the snake in the towel a little tighter than you normally would (just don't squash him!!) you will probably feel him pushing/squirming against your hands and it will help the shed off. All the pushing/pulling should be controlled by the snake itself. Corno's first 2 sheds with us were bad and I had to do this with her, 3rd time I put a damp hide in and she was fine, next 2 after that were fine without a damp hide.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000