4 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  02:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need help with not breeding my 2 corn snakes. Please help

adamczuk
Egg

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  02:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seperare them no? Put one in a rub until you can get a permanent viv. Otherwise you can't really ensure they won't have the sexy time.
Go to Top of Page

Laura Vaughn
Snake Mite

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  02:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my problem. I have had them almost 3 years and thought until this time last year they were both male. They then got seperated but now I'm hoping that maybe I can put them back together due to a space issue. I don't want to get rid of either of them but don't want babies either.
Go to Top of Page

Laura Vaughn
Snake Mite

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  02:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also read somewhere that if they are housed together the eggs are not fertile. Is this true/
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  05:50:28  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The only way you can be sure of them not producing eggs is to keep them housed seperately. If you house them together, they will breed and most likely will produce fertile eggs. You don't have to incubate any eggs produced, you can freeze them and dispose of them. However, there are alot of risks associated with breeding and would you really want to expose your female to those risks for nothing. Also if you house them together, the male could continually pester the female for sexy time causing her alot of stress.

If space is an issue, you could stack 2 vivs on top of each other, or house them in RUBS, or any other brand plastic storage box, which take up less space.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

Edited by - kdlang on 26/04/2012 05:51:52
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  09:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
couldnt have put it any better than kd. Of course its not true that if they are housed together the eggs will not be fertile... Separate them if you do not want babies.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  14:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep them separate, it's the only way.

Go to Top of Page

Laura Vaughn
Snake Mite

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  00:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you to for the good advice
Go to Top of Page

Slither.Skaley.Springie
Snake Mite

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  15:30:32  Show Profile  Visit Slither.Skaley.Springie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keep them seperated until after April, considering this is breeding month. Then you can put your female back into the tank with your male. Ide possibly wait till late May or even June to put her back in to make sure. Good Luck!

Slither - Spotted Snow
Skaley - Normal
Springie - Abotts Okeetee
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  16:05:07  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snakes can breed any time of the year so I wouldn't put them together at all

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

343guiltyspark
Hatchling

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  16:10:53  Show Profile  Visit 343guiltyspark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Snakes can breed any time of the year so I wouldn't put them together at all

That's true. Keep them a p a r t (like those letters)

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  17:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep them seperated until after April, considering this is breeding month. Then you can put your female back into the tank with your male. Ide possibly wait till late May or even June to put her back in to make sure. Good Luck!

No no no, this is absolutely NOT true, as above corns can AND DO breed all year round, the only way is to keep them apart permanently! :)

Go to Top of Page

Slither.Skaley.Springie
Snake Mite

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  17:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Slither.Skaley.Springie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really?? I havent had that problem. My female only lays eggs once a year. and all year long, shes with my 2 males until I remove her so she can lay her eggs.

Slither - Spotted Snow
Skaley - Normal
Go to Top of Page

343guiltyspark
Hatchling

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  17:18:09  Show Profile  Visit 343guiltyspark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All snakes are different. Laura Vaughn doesn't want ANY eggs so she would probably rather not risk it.

Go to Top of Page

Slither.Skaley.Springie
Snake Mite

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  17:22:23  Show Profile  Visit Slither.Skaley.Springie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes you just cant help what nature does. If the snake had just 1 chance to mate, its likely to lay eggs.

Slither - Spotted Snow
Skaley - Normal
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  22:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the ONLY way is to seperate and keep them seperated. they will breed anytime of the year im afraid. :(

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000