Robins nest in my alleyway :O
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  16:47:42  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So today my little brother called me outside and as he was taking down a bag that had been hung up in the outside alleyway that is sheltered btw. a robin flew out and scared him. and inside the bag was a little nest with 5 eggs. see pic! i was amazed! we are always in and out of the garden so how had they done it unnoticed? anyone good with birds here? will they go back to the nest now they have been spooked? if they don't is there any way i can incubate them? Anything i should know that may help?

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Leopard gecko (Meg)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons
Wish list - Chinese water dragon, Tegu! Rainbow boa!

R.I.P Shayde

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  16:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what a place to build a nest nice and sheltered, i'd put it back where you found it and leave it, the birds should return if you stay out the way, don't forget the pics of little robins when they hatch.

Edit - even if you did incubate them, they would be unlikely to survive after hatching as its so difficult to feed a tiny helpless baby bird

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Edited by - tordyjo on 22/04/2012 16:51:24
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  16:55:31  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

what a place to build a nest nice and sheltered, i'd put it back where you found it and leave it, the birds should return if you stay out the way, don't forget the pics of little robins when they hatch.

Edit - even if you did incubate them, they would be unlikely to survive after hatching as its so difficult to feed a tiny helpless baby bird

it is back where i found it! on that metal hook there lol! ive banned anyone from entering/exiting the garden for a while so they will hopefully return. its mad tho cause the alley is only about a meter and a half wide so people must have been walking past them for a long time!

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  17:03:22  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Leave them be! We had some robins nest, they hatched the babies and now for what ever reason, they left their 5 babies to die... maybe they got spooked by the dog :/or maybe all the hail we had killed them... the mum and dad never returned to them. So weird as we saw the going really busy feeding them for a week before they decided not to bother anymore.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  17:13:32  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Leave them be! We had some robins nest, they hatched the babies and now for what ever reason, they left their 5 babies to die... maybe they got spooked by the dog :/or maybe all the hail we had killed them... the mum and dad never returned to them. So weird as we saw the going really busy feeding them for a week before they decided not to bother anymore.

don't worry lol i would rather let nature take its course and leave them be! i just wouldn't like to think i scared off the parents and now the eggs are going to die!

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  17:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really hope they go back, really do like robins

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  18:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they should go back,the parents we're probably watching near by

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  18:33:01  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
u lucky little devil!!

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly