Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  14:47:03  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
your crestie seems like a happy chappy and im about to upgrade my leos home to a longer one rather than the tall one shes in and then set it up ready for a crestie now i have some questions if you have the time to answer i will appreciate it ALOT! :D

1. how do you heat the viv? heatmat same as leo and corns or different?

2. how humid do you keep the viv and how do you do so?

3. what substrate do you use?

4. what do they eat and how often?

and finally! do they like being handled? or more of a leave me alone type? .. i know its alot of questions and im sorry :P but i like to do alot of research before getting anything new and hearing it from another person is my best method! :D! thanks

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Leopard gecko (Meg)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons
Wish list - Chinese water dragon, Tegu! Rainbow boa!

R.I.P Shayde

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  18:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just the same heat mat and stat as corn, heat no colder than 20 no hotter than 30, cooler end of temp at night as nocturnal, need bit more heat when sleeping, apparantley in summer should not need mat, i am waiting to find that one out! at night i use a spray get a hygrometer between 60 - 100
i just use kitchen roll
they eat repashy/clarks gecko diet powder mixed with hot water made in a milk bottle lid, lasts 2 nights,then mix up some more,i use a plastic tea spoon, the back is perfect for mixing!The powder lasts for AGES and is sbout £10. dont have to but if you want can get crickes/dubia roaches twice a week,I would have to recomend the roaches over the crickes, Fudge wasnt keen on them , but pounces on the dubias!, but all are different! but powder does provide everything they need
Fudge was left a week when i got him, now i take him out every night between 5 min - half an hour, some times he likes to sit on laptop then sleep lol They do jump a lot, so be careful about their tails if they do jump dont grap the tail, if it comes off, it wont grow back
unlike corns, they shed really fast only a few hours, their skin goes all white,bit loose then they eat it, which i do find a bit gross lol
on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/stolenmilkcrate is really fantastic for crestie videos, some are odd lol but she is great!
I really couldnt do with out Fudge now, so full of character, he is very quiet, never made a sound, but others do, i youtubed crestie noises, very cute!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes

Edited by - scottishbluebird on 21/04/2012 19:10:37
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  21:40:06  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thankyou for all the advice now im alot more clear headed :D! how old is fudge? and what size viv/faun do you have him in atm? and will you need a bigger one when hes older?

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  23:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fudge will be 8 months in week or so, i had him in a rub just a bit deeper than a large faun when i got him at 8 or 9 weeks, a few weeks ago he got moved to a 40 0r 45 litre rub that is standing on end to give Fudge the height, i just kept his first rub flat though, this should do him for ages as have to hunt for him in it lol. An adult could go up to a 50 litre rub
Deff get the famous Dunelm Mill ivy, this is really fantastic for them to climb/hide in

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla

Edited by - scottishbluebird on 21/04/2012 23:48:18
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  23:55:06  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
brilliant! :) well im currently kitting out an exo terra 60x45x60 over time with a waterfall. sturdy branches and lots of foliage ect ect as my next project! but that would more suit an adult for when i have one! im hoping to get a baby soon! there is a breeder in colchester where i live advertised 3 for £25 each on pre loved. waiting to hear from him. as they are like £85 each in the shops here. how do you place the heat mat? underneath the rub or on the side? and also do you keep your paper towel substrate wet? sorry for all the questions been doing research all day but soo many people say different things!

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  00:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like a waterfall! but like you said only for an adult, milk lids do for both food and water dishes, although Fudge now has a jam jar lid for water lol, not all can see standing water, so it is more to help raise the humidity, anything deeper is not ideal for teeny ones.
£25 is an amazing price, i paid £45 for Fudge, £85 is just ridiculous
For a teeny one, i placed the heat mat on the bottom, when is a bigger home, id advise the side as most prefer to be at the highest point, although mine is on the bottom as Fudge splits his time between top and bottom i did move it to the side, but put it back.
The paper towel gets damp when sprayed at night but dries out through the day, i only spray at night when he is awake so he can get a drink, i know others have read when doing research they spray twice a day, personally i find once is fine, he sheds just fine with the humidity as it is, never had any retained shed.
Please ask any questions, but just remember this is my first crestie, but i have to admit that he is healthy and confident so i must be doing ok so far!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  00:38:46  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks! that's why i am asking you because i have seen vids and pics of fudge and he seems very happy! :D how do you get the heat mat to stick to the side of the viv without doing it permanently? i read that too much heat can be worse than too little heat with these little guys. so do you stat the mat quite low so it never gets too hot? thanks again! xD

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  01:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the dreaded sellotape, since it is on the outside it was ok, as i said not below 20 or over 30, i keep my temps between 23 and 26. dont know if this is any use, this is a weight chart i got from the Dark Side, i added the pic i thought it was cute lol

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  13:41:25  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

I use the dreaded sellotape, since it is on the outside it was ok, as i said not below 20 or over 30, i keep my temps between 23 and 26. dont know if this is any use, this is a weight chart i got from the Dark Side, i added the pic i thought it was cute lol

awesome! thanks for all the advice! just need this breeder to hurry up and contact me!! ahah

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

Kopite_Di1965
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  15:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi I have been reading with interest as I have just got my crestie baby, sadly he lost his tail when he was a few days old as he was attacked so we called him Stumpy, I have him in a 30x30x45 exo tank, he has 2 fake plants, a bendy vine and the polystyrene wall which came with it, I also have the type of substrate that comes in a brick and have to put it in water... now I would just like to check I have his set up correct as he dont seem to move around much,I was told they eat pureed food ie baby fruit puree is this ok? again I cant tell if he is eatng, i also have the zoo med gheko food which i make into a paste... his food is in a dish but i only put a teaspoon of food in and I was advised not to put a water dish in as they drink the drops from leaves his hygrometer reads 60 and the temps are at a steady 25 during the day and not below 65 at night without the aid of a heatmat although I do have a mat and thermostat just in case and more for winter, as I live in Wiltshire temps are warmer all round than up North, where should the thermometer probe be, at the top bottom or middle of the tank? mine is in middle where he spends most of the day .. again how long will I need to leave him before handling him, I got him last Saturday , and lastly sorry to hijack your post darrkang3l :)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  17:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Kopite Di, I have a crestie so think I can answer this. The coco bricks are fine and hold humidity well but the easiest way to tell if they are eating is when they poop which when on coco brick is not the easiest thing to spot, most of my cresties poo looks like a mouse dropping with a white end. You'd also need to keep on top of cleaning these up as it will mould quite quickly in the high humidity environment. If the hygrometer is 60% I would suggest raising it slightly, I keep mine at around 80% it helps keep their skin soft and when they shed it comes off cleanly. I keep a heat mat on the side of the enclosure at a constant 25oC, the ambient temp will drop at night as I like to be cold at night and open the windows but he has somewhere warm to go if he chooses, I used to not heat the enclosure at all but he seems to appreciate the option of heat and can go sit on the mat if he wants, I have glued the stat probe and thermometer to the heat mat as that is where the heat actually is and to be honest I dont monitor ambient temps because he has somewhere warm if it gets too cold for him.

You are right, they dont understand water bowls (stupid squishy's) so you need to spray the foliage at least once a day. I wouldn't use baby foods unless its a treat as most contain banana which although its safe for them to eat it binds calcium (or something sciency like that) which can give you problems. I give gecko diet 2 days then 1 day break, they eat a tiny tiny amount as babies maybe 1 or 2 licks so you just wont tell they are eating it other than the pooping and growing bit. I also feed mine calcium dusted bugs and the very occasional Nutrobal dusted bug, they seem to really like dubia roaches but you can also give them crickets, locust, meal worms and wax worms, basically if its smaller than the distance between their eyes in length its safe to feed it to them (you really dont want them choking on it as they swallow bugs whole).

I would leave him about a week before handling, give him a bit of time to get used to his new home and then be prepared for an animal that is like holding a bar of soap that jumps, they are very very quick so be close to the ground should he suicide jump he wont hurt himself. Then the next thing to remember is lots of pictures are required to be posted on here for us to all say aww at.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 24/04/2012 17:11:48
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  17:20:12  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kopite_Di1965

and lastly sorry to hijack your post darrkang3l :)

no worries :)

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  19:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stumpy is a popular name lately lol
Look forward to pics!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  19:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i went to look at some cresties yesterday, they were a week old but 85 pounds each! i might look to rehome a male and a female rather than babies. x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Kopite_Di1965
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  23:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lotabob thank you for cool advice, I watched him eat a locust tonight which was cool :) What size heatmat should I have as I think the 1 I have is too big it is 6x11" 7watt do they come smaller ? And should it be at the top or bottom of the enclosure , I was thinking of putting it at the back behind the polystyrene wall climber thing ? So you would recommend using a different substrate like paper towels ? Sorry for all the q's just want to make him happy healthy and comfortable,

Darrkang3l. Thanks :) and Scottishbluebird. Seemed the perfect name really :)

Georgina Stumpy came from the dreaded pets at home , should of been £49 but only cost £39 due to lack of tail , I know lots of ppl dont like the shop but my snake Cilla was from there and has been fine, although after I brought her I found out it was from my daughters friends parents who breed them :/
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  23:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
suprisingly for reptiles they are not that bad :) and 49 is cheaper than rounder her anyways :)

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  23:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry about the substrate unless there is a problem.

I dont think it matters about heat mat size, mats are contact heaters so as long as its big enough for the crestie to sit/dangle on it will be fine.

I dont think P@H are all that bad, they aren't perfect but as big companies go they do OK. Plus a good friend of mine is a manager of P@H and she asks me for snake advice all the time, I'm even set up ready for if any of her snakes dont eat etc they are coming to me to settle. I paid £49 for my crestie from a local shop but this was at a time of year they were like rocking horse muck to find.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Kopite_Di1965
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  23:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't the mat be on the outside of the enclosure ? I have had a few pets from them and all have been ok , got the gerbils 3 years ago and are still going strong :)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2012 :  00:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If its glass then outside is fine and probably better as high humidity will eventually kill a heat mat. The stat probe on the other hand should be inside with the thermometer probe. I have my crestie in a wood vivarium so the mat has to be inside and very well sealed to prevent it dying from moisture getting inside.

When its outside it will create a warm spot on the glass where crestie can sit. I fix my probed with hot glue as its non toxic and sets quick.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2012 :  01:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kopite_Di1965

Lotabob thank you for cool advice, I watched him eat a locust tonight which was cool :) What size heatmat should I have as I think the 1 I have is too big it is 6x11" 7watt do they come smaller ? And should it be at the top or bottom of the enclosure , I was thinking of putting it at the back behind the polystyrene wall climber thing ? So you would recommend using a different substrate like paper towels ? Sorry for all the q's just want to make him happy healthy and comfortable,

If you dont ask questions, you wont learn, i asked my own too, just like you and others we just want the best for our pets, and if any of the advice i have given is wrong, i would certainly want to know so i can correct it!
The locust for cresties, would they be any better nutritionally than dubias, as Fudge prefers the roaches over crickets, (suits me the little gits escape!)i am not keen on bugs, but for Fudge i persevere!
And unlucky on buying, then finding you could have got a better price!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
Go to Top of Page

Kopite_Di1965
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2012 :  07:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Lotabob :) going I set his tank up properly today :).

Scottishbluebird, I haven't tried Dubias what are they ? I hate crickets and was advised against them as they can nip the crestie :/ I used locusts to feed my bd so i am ok with handling those and as I only intend to give them as a treat 1 per week or so I don't mind them sitting in a box :) x
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000