General Posts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DELBOY
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  19:10:39  Show Profile  Click to see DELBOY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lo everyone i am new here hope u r all having fun just before xmas my partner bought my first ever corn snake called Tubbs which is very suprising as we have bin 2gether 10 years and she has always bin terrified of them lol and we have just bought our 2nd called crocket...

So if u all don't mind i have a couple of questions

1) Is there any things 2 look out 4
2) Now i have got 2 Corn snakes and they r now 7 month old we have just bought a brand new 3ft vivarium as they have become too big 4 the starter one we originally bought it has got a heat lamp socket what size bulb would b appropriate e.g power etc 40w 50w 75w

All help would b very much appreciated ........

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  19:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. Do you keep your snakes together? Because if you do i'll offer you this to read. Cohabiting is generally frowned upon unless you have two definite. same sex ADULT corns. www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

We usually use heat mats here. They provide the 24 hour warmth that corns require. With a heat mat you can set your thermostat and thermometer to the proper temp and never have to worry about it again! (some people use bulbs too though so i'm sure somebody will advise you on that!)

Best of luck with your snakies

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

DELBOY
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  19:49:09  Show Profile  Click to see DELBOY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi ya hun thankyou 4 the warm welcome both my snakes Tubbs which is a 7 month old male Miami corn and Crocket which is a 7 month old female Ultramel corn do cohabitate which i have bin told by my local vet also a local snake breeder it is fine provided they r similar in age which they are as there is only 4 days difference in hatch date ...

I have already got 2 heat matts a small 1 from my starter vivarium which is 7watt but i have also aqcuired a larger one which is 20inch in length and 28watt which i wasa going 2 use in my new vivarium along with a heat bulb ..
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  20:06:49  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome tom the forum. Pictures of your snakes are obligatory on here, look forward to seeing them

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  20:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'd wanna get to know that vet pretty well so cause you'll need him if they breed too young and your female gets eggbound! It is your decision though. :P

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  20:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you're happy with the wee ones, but please do separate them. Males can try it on with the ladies surprisingly young, which can lead to damage or even fertilization if the female is able, and sadly, at that size, chances are you'll lose her.
At 7 months, they'll both be happy in a faun each for a good deal of time, and you can pop the fauns inside the 3 foot for extra security! :)

Bulbs, don't both, corns get all they need from heat mats, no need to add in the lamp, as that's when it starts costing more on the leccy :P
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  21:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome,look forward to seeing some pics

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  08:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum, would also love to see some pics :)

Cohabbing snakes is a very emotive subject, some do, some don't, but I don't think you'll find ANYONE who would agree with cohabbing young snakes of opposite sex due to the very real danger to the female from breeding too early. I am astounded, and quite frankly pretty disgusted, that a vet who is also a breeder would say such a thing. Please read the thread linked in Katie's post, it may change your mind if you have more information on the subject.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000