Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi Snakey Peeps, Can someone please help?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reteptseb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  21:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got our Corn last May, rehoming him from another family who no longer played wiv him etc. He is awesome and sheds regularly, handled regularly, eats and poos all the time etc.
He is about 4.5ft and 8 yrs old, last shed 3days ago and ate 10 days ago. Always good wiv his food, but for some reason wont eat today?
Offered him a sizeable rat (no bigger than his girth so should be fine) then when he ignored a few hours later I replaced with a much smaller large mouse. Turned nose up to both! never done this before, anyone have any suggestions?
His Viv measures 2.5ft wide by 2ft deep by 3ft tall (with shelfs at different heights and connecting driftwood etc), wondering if this has gotten too small and considering a 4ft wide one? Can anyone comment on if this is appropriate compared with what he has?
We love him and want him to be happy as can be.. any help welcomed. Thanks folks!

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  22:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all welcome

Lots of males are off there food at the min. Breeding season. I would not worry about missing a few feeds. A sizeable rat? I would question if he is overweight as many are fine are large mice every 10 days or so. As a general rule viv sounds ok. Have always been told that the L of the viv should add up to the length of the snake. Ie 2.5+2=4.5

Sure others will be along to help out soon
Good luck

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  00:33:10  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It certainly sounds like it could be due to breeding season. Most of my males are finicky about eating at this time of year. Is he more active than normal, spending more time climbing and at the doors of the viv, looking for ways to escape?

I wouldn't worry just yet. Try him again in a couple of weeks and just keep an eye on his weight

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

reteptseb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  12:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

It certainly sounds like it could be due to breeding season. Most of my males are finicky about eating at this time of year. Is he more active than normal, spending more time climbing and at the doors of the viv, looking for ways to escape?

I wouldn't worry just yet. Try him again in a couple of weeks and just keep an eye on his weight

Yep, he's climbing all over the place, digging into his bedding and generally really active. Have checked him for mites/ticks etc but nothing and he seems really healthy. His weight is fine, not over or under so all seems good. Will try him again on a feed next week. Thanks for feedback.

PS: any thoughts on Viv size? considering a bigger one (4ft wide)?
Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  15:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reteptseb

quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Yep, he's climbing all over the place, digging into his bedding and generally really active. Have checked him for mites/ticks etc but nothing and he seems really healthy. His weight is fine, not over or under so all seems good. Will try him again on a feed next week. Thanks for feedback.

PS: any thoughts on Viv size? considering a bigger one (4ft wide)?

You're viv size sounds fine. Though, corn snakes aren't terribly aboreal so if you do get a new one I'd go for wider rather than taller. eg 4x2x2 or similar. Good luck with you're snake
Go to Top of Page

Corns7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  16:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corns Snakes generally don't outgrow a 3ft

0.1 Carolina corn-Willameana

1.0 springer spaniel- Seb

1.0 shih tzu- Charlie

0.1 black cat- Luna
Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  01:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hhey firstly welcome :)
secondly your corn sounds HENCH!
as big girth as a reasonably sized rat? he's probably just a big fella but to be sure
there's a thread with pics about over weight snakes, might be worth a read for safekeeping :)
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11891

Go to Top of Page

reteptseb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  21:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by ashby_steve

hhey firstly welcome :)
secondly your corn sounds HENCH!
as big girth as a reasonably sized rat? he's probably just a big fella but to be sure
there's a thread with pics about over weight snakes, might be worth a read for safekeeping :)
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11891
[Have kept a close eye on him since got him. His weight is fine, no bent scales or any telltale signs, thanks for the link, have checked but he doesn't look like that. We usually feed him large mice (which are actually pretty small to be fair) the rat was a treat...would spread out feeds if has this, only has very occasionally. He is able to turn on a sixpence and can easily turn on himself inside a xmas-wrapping paper tube which he loves playing in. Just given him another try on a mouse so hopefully will eat this one! thanks for the comment.
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  10:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  11:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  13:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome

Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  19:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  20:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome :) Hope he eats for you, but if not as above - probably just breeding season so try not to worry :)

Go to Top of Page

basilsmum
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  14:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I read this post. I've been slightly worried about Basil cos he turned his nose up at a rat pup the other week then the week after gobbled it up and is showing off at the front of his viv one day, and then burrowing and hiding away the next. you've put my mind at rest at lease. This forum is awesome! why did I not know about this before lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000