New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  10:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so obviously thinking ahead here but... what exactly does quarantining a second snake involve? Should it be kept in a separate room entirely or is it OK to place eg in a viv stack one on top of the other and just make sure hands are washed between handling? How long should a second snake be quarantined for? Also what, apart from mites and RI, should I be 'on the lookout' for?

Thanks

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  11:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Separate room, I'd usually leave them there for a month but I don't know if that's right or not

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  12:27:01  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I read somewhere in a room as far away as possible from your current snakes. Cant remember where i read that tho.

EDIT: Also washing hands between handling sessions etc.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 23/03/2012 12:28:38
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  13:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm it is a shame about the separate room... I suppose the new one could go in the bedroom to start with and then be moved downstairs. It's only a problem 'cos I'm thinking of getting an adult - a faun would be easy to house elsewhere lol!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  14:11:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thought it was separate room for 3 months? 6 months if the snake is a boa or python if you have boas or pythons?

My king was downstairs on the floor for 3 months bless him. Cats got kicked many a time in those months :/

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2012 :  11:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol at your poor cat! Yeah I thought it was 2 months but wasn't sure. No snakes other than corns involved :)

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2012 :  12:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it should be 3 months, or even longer, illness can take a long time to be visibly noticeable in reptiles. I was very naughty and kept them in the same room but alcohol goo'd right upto my elbows before handling each snake. It was a HUGE risk specially knowing what I know about IBD transfer from Boas to Pythons. I got lucky though, everyone was OK.

Hal my newest snake on the other hand is in the other room now and will be until July, I'm not taking any risks now I know the full story and he is always handled or water changed last.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2012 :  13:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I'll go for 3 months then :) We've definitely decided to wait for a hatchy now so it will be easy in a faun! - Of course I'm now back to waiting for this yr's hatchies so plenty of time to get set up lol!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000