New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leerich2003
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  23:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone just got a corn snak about 6 weeks ago and a little plastic viv about 1ft with vented lid hide heat mat and water bowl.Just thought I would say Hi to you all and tell you how much I am enjoying my new snake he is about 1.5 ft long dont know if he is a male of female.Dont know how to tell? I have fed him 1 pinky a week for a while and now feed him 1 pinky twice a week he eats every time without fail. I handle him about 3-4 times a week.Is it right that you cant handle hime for 24hrs before and after feeding? Could you also tell me if there is a time limit to holding him out of the viv due to him getting cold.

P.S I have just ordered a 3ft viv with cabinet for him as I was told when the snake is as long as the viv at tthe front and down one side it is time to buy a larger viv and thought I would plan ahead and get a larger viv rather than a medium size on hope I have done the right thing?

Thanks eveyone in advance for your help

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  23:09:53  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome.

I would feed him 2 pinkies, 1 after the other every 6 to 7 days rather than 2 a week and you can handle them the day before feeding but leave for 24 to 48 hours after feeding.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  23:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine i have found feed better if handled just before feeding i normally have them out for ten mins whilst the mice are defrosting. they wont get cold as our body temp if higher than what their heat mat should be. do you measure the temps?

and i would feed double pinkies every 5/6 days leaving for 48 hours after.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  23:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Leerich,

Welcome to the forum, you wont find a nicer bunch or helpful people (I'm ego stroking the mods here). They all have helped me through my first few months and wont ever criticize what might be a bit of a dumb question (I've asked a few).

Congrats I got my first one in Jan then got another about a month ago. Most people say not to put them in too big a viv until they are ready as it could freak 'em out a bit. Though if you've got loads of hides and foliage in there it might be ok. With mine i put the plastic thing inside the viv for a week or two then took the lid off (so the plastic one is in the 3 foot viv) and see if he comes out (I then leave it like that for a while to slowly let him expore). If he keeps feeding whilst your doing that then he should be ok.

****The previous comment isn't advice and goes against what most people say but it is just my experience, to do it properly and most safely only keep in him a viv appropriate to his size****

As for holding them, it is down to the snake. One of mine will quite happily sit in my hood for hours at a time, in fact he is most happy in a sleeve or hood. The other is very bold and will explore everywhere. Temperature wise I can't see that being a problem as long as your house isn't kindred to a freezer. Anyway he'll get warmth from you as our body temps are quite high in comparison to a little snake.

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Felicity (Flick) (Normal Het Albino BCI 0.1)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Maisie (Hypo het Albino BCI 0.1)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  23:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the feeding plan I use (thanks to whoever gave it to me on here :) )

Single pinks 4-5 days Snake = 4-15g
Double Pinks – 4-6 days Snake = 16-25g
Fuzz - 5-6 days Snake = 26-40g
Small - 7 days Snake = 41-80g
Double small - 7 days Snake = 80-120g
Mouse - 7-14d days Snake = 120+399g
Jumbo – 7-14 days Snake = 400+g

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Felicity (Flick) (Normal Het Albino BCI 0.1)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Maisie (Hypo het Albino BCI 0.1)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  00:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome along

quote:
Originally posted by Redshift Spec

Welcome to the forum, you wont find a nicer bunch or helpful people (I'm ego stroking the mods here).

lol we do prefer sacraficial offerings of Jaffa cakes this works better than stroking our egos :D

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  08:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

claire_daz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  09:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mmmmm jaffa cakes

oh hello n welcome
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  09:16:10  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. Firstly, do you have a thermostat with your heatmat? They are pretty essential for keeping snakey at the correct temperatures and are often omitted from starter set-ups.

As for handling, I try to avoid handling too much before a feed, mainly because I think someone advised against it when I first started keeping snakes. I find some don't mind being handled beforehand but some won't eat if they are. The recommended time to leave them alone after feeding is 48hrs however I sometimes leave mine longer if they have spent more time in the cool end rather than the warm, just to make sure everything is digested ok, especially if I have fed 2 mice.

As for the viv size, alot of people put young snakes into 3ft vivs with no problem. Personally I have always moved up sizes gradually. He should be ok in the 3ft but be prepared to pack it out with lots of hidey places and coverage (and then spend ages looking for snakey and for poops lol). Also be very aware of gaps between viv doors and in vents as snakes are reknowned escape artists and can squash themselves quite flat to get out of small gaps.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  11:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome!
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  17:42:59  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there. I was pretty much gonna say along the same lines as Kd about the thermostat

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  20:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey and welcome!
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  21:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome :D I can only repeat what others have said, don't feed twice a week, feed 2 pinks once a week, make sure you have a thermostat with a digital thermometer probe reading at least the hot end above the mat, and that the mat only covers 1/3 to 1/2 of the floor. :)

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  08:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there all i can add is take a look at the sticky's at the top of each thread, loads of really useful advice in them

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  22:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome

Go to Top of Page

ToNyC86
Snake Mite

15 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  22:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  16:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

leerich2003
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  14:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for your help.

I have had the corn snake for about 2 months now and he has not shed yet how long does it take before he sheds?

Just bought a dimming thermostat for the viv where abouts do I put the sensor and whats the best way of securing the cable do I need to keep the heatmat on aswell or not?

cheers

leerich2003
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000