New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  13:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3ft viv with a 6 month corn snake. he like to go to bed when i wake up and wake up when i go to bed so i would like to be able to see what he gets up to of a night. Is there a way i can some sort of bulb or strip that will light up the tank without him being able to see it. something that will not create too much heat, as i have a fair sized heat mat in one of half of his viv already.... all help and links would be apreciated thanks

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  13:40:02  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The best lights to use would be LED's, ideally in blue as blue doesnt show in their visible spectrum. Here's two options.

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/lucky-reptile-night-sky-led-moonlight-set-ns-1uk.html

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-SMD-Waterproof-5050-RGB-LED-Strip-24Key-IR-Remote-Control-LD48-/280794997341?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item4160afa25d

Both options are good, i have the first option as i recieved it as a gift at xmas.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  13:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much... answered my question perfectly will go and get one tonight thank you.
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  15:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ordered and on the way thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  15:38:04  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No problem at all. I've not got mine set up. Waiting to have a wooden viv. Not as effective in a faun (well i dont think it would be).

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:05:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simmy_82

blue doesnt show in their visible spectrum.

Since when?
Snakes have colour vision in the light, it may not be quite as good as human sight but it is capable of seeing colour.

The reason reds and blues and greens are used in lighting is they reduce (filter) the amount of WHITE light that is emitted. White light can disturb nocturnal and to a lesser extent crepuscular animals. To further cut down on the white light emitted use an Infra Red bulb, which is a slight fib, its not IR its just closer to infra red on the spectrum.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:13:30  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah ok. I thought I read somewhere blue doesn't show. My mistake.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:22:14  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just buy a ninja suit instead of lighting :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that would be great, dont forget your night vision goggles though.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  22:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got the second option in Simmys links. Its awesome! Get a snakey disco going :)

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Felicity (Flick) (Normal Het Albino BCI 0.1)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Maisie (Hypo het Albino BCI 0.1)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  09:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol i agree, that they can see some colour, i thought the second option would allow more white light then the first so went with the second. I have a 3ft wooden viv so im hoping the one LED will be enough, I have a ninja suit what 21 year old student doesnt ( cough) :D and the LED was alot cheaper then goggles lol
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  09:34:54  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I didn't have a ninja suit but then I was hoping to perv on something :P

Push LED's are a good option if you can't be bothered to wire stuff, they can just kinda eat up batteries if you have them on every night.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  13:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 6 month old in a 3ft isn't going to be out much, too big a space for too little a corn. Try splitting it in half and adding lots of coverage, you'll see it more then :)
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  13:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol he is big for his age...... but i know what your getting at, i see him going round of a night time happy as anything when i use a torch..... just cannot see in the dark, so the LED's should help. plus he was in it almost straight away so he hasnt known anything different so he is comfortable enough i think :)
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2012 :  07:49:02  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have the roofs of both my vivs lined with red led's an there deffinatly more active when watching in a dark room with them on.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000