Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  13:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there alot of ladybirds about where you live? And I do mean alot. They are every where here. Loads on the plants in the garden and several keep finding their way indoors. The wardrobe doors and the kitchen ceiling seems to be a favourite place for them. |Don't think I have never seen so many at once, been like it for a few weeks now.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  14:12:11  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I remember studying this in biology at school. There are usually peaks in ladybirds a year after a peak in greenfly etc. Then the greenfly get eaten, ladybirds die because of the reduced numbers of greenfly and then there is a bumper year of greenfly and so on and so on.

I havent seen many here, but then i live in a town center and not much greenery near me.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  14:40:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do they look like normal lady bugs or harlequins as the alien species is rapidly invading all corners of the UK.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  14:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are our native ladybirds. I would destroy them if they were the alien species.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  15:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winter time, our house is invaded with normals and harlequins. Like, 10 in a room kinda thing. I even crunched one up after it made it's way into my dinner. Miracle I didn't hurl there and then xD
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  15:38:29  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

They are our native ladybirds. I would destroy them if they were the alien species.

Good good :D I did bug squashing last year in my b/f rented place, the house mates gave me looks of horror until I explained they are evil lady bugs lmao

I did see a hell of a lot of 7 spots in my grandmas garden over the weekend, I must have seen 50! Only seen a couple of them, in ours. It's so nice to see them though, just about the only bug I can stand to look at.

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  15:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have not seen any yet

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  18:15:15  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just caught a 7spot inside on the floor! Guess it came in from the washing. Makes a change from me bringing in bird poo though.

Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  18:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny you post this. I have 10 living on my door step and i've not even been looking for them. And my mother in law cut down a bush the other day and had hudards in there.

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  19:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what a coincidence was walking the dogs earlier and saw loads of them! nearly steped on a few!! at the risk of sounding dumb were do the "alien" ones come from and what do they look like?

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  20:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

what a coincidence was walking the dogs earlier and saw loads of them! nearly steped on a few!! at the risk of sounding dumb were do the "alien" ones come from and what do they look like?

Harlequin ladybirds and general ladybird info: http://www.ladybird-survey.org/harlequin.aspx

I've not seen many ladybirds,a 7 spot in my parents doorway and I've a couple of black 2 spots in my house.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  20:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the link, what a strainge looking bug, didn't see any of them but i will be keeping myeyeout for them from now on!

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  20:37:28  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They creep me out so much.. since then they have found them in more patterns, they are just spreading like crazy!

So difficult to tell them apart as well because there are so many different types of native lady bird that are in lots of colours as well, specially when they have "morphs" too D:

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  21:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do some of our native ones have that funny shaped head then? i can't say as i've ever paid much attention to the little critters apart from avoiding standing on them!

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  21:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

quote:

Harlequin ladybirds and general ladybird info: http://www.ladybird-survey.org/harlequin.aspx

I've not seen many ladybirds,a 7 spot in my parents doorway and I've a couple of black 2 spots in my house.

I did not realise just how many different ladybirds there are. Very interesting, I will be studying my shrubs even closer now.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  22:10:25  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

do some of our native ones have that funny shaped head then? i can't say as i've ever paid much attention to the little critters apart from avoiding standing on them!

Not sure, there are so many different types, and it doesn't help when the aliens are breeding with the natives either! They are cannibalistic too. There is another alien lady bird as well bry something but it's not considered a threat as it just eats wet mouldy plants and stays out other ladybirds way.

I'm not a big lover of buys but I do have a soft spot for lady birds a I always used to find them, catch and look at them when I was a kiddy winkle XD

Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  00:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the numbers of coccinelle (ladybirds )in my graden when i was weeding the back beds this morning was more to do with the mild winter than anyhting else...???

in a couple of weeks you'll be noticing that there's MASSES of slugs more than there should be.... cos of the mild winter.

that's me, a torch, and the salt pot out every night while ive got seedlings in then.....
slug patrol

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

claire_daz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  09:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nicky you need a headgehog ....try getting in touch with a headgehog recuse they let you foster a couple for you garden
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  14:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh superb idea- would they get on okay with guinea pigs, do you think?

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

claire_daz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  14:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hedgehog just love slugs sorry about the spelling ^^^^^^^^lol
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  17:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you ever seen the swarms of ladybirds?
mental!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1204864/Plague-ladybirds-puts-families-flight-Holidaymakers-overrun-tens-millions-bugs.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orize22QBXI

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: