Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 anyone ever complained about a pet store?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  19:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I went into my local pet store today and i was not impressed with the state of most of the animals.

The snakes and reptiles are pretty much sitting in their own poo, I don't know how often bearded dragons or geckos do their business, but i certainly kno that snakes don't do it that often so it must be weeks old. They seem to have enough hides and things but all they have is 1 thermometer, one of those strip ones (not sure what to call them) and they all read around 21oC, the beardies were about 23 (I have no idea the heat they need so unsure if this is bad or not)

There was what i thought was an empty viv because it had a light in there but it wasn't on and it looked pretty dirty, then i saw this poor corn curled up at the back. All of the animals water was in a discusting condition it was so dirty and some of them had poo sitting in it.
All their birds were just sat in a cage with 1 perch and a bowl of food and dirty water.

Also a few weeks ago i went in there 2 days in a row once was to kill time before work then i went in the next day purely to see if the parrots water had been changed because when i went in there the first time there was loads of seed andpoopin it, the next day it was inn exactly the same condition.

Anyway sorry for the essay i was just really mad, I'm just wondering if I should complain about this place? if so how should i go about it. A old friend that i went to school with complained about the condition of their rodents a few years ago but nothing ever came of it.

1.0.0 Royal Python (Sir Cuthbert)
1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
1.0.0 C0ckatiel (Baldwin)
1.0.0 Jug - jack russel x pug (Keyser Soze)

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  19:18:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes you should, you would complain to the local council since they issue the petshop licence, they will have a look and maybe bring round other people to deal with the situation.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  19:25:23  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sounds awfulm, i'm lucky, my local is pretty awesome condition wise

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  19:37:36  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As Sta~ple has said, phone the council, and speak to the environmental health officer. They'll sort it out.

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  19:43:45  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks staple i'm gunna do it, it's not nice in there at all. The other couple of stores in the town are pretty good, all the animals look very clean and well looked after, it's just this one that's skanky. (it is in the more scabby end of town though lol)

1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  19:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like othres have said contact your local council, to be granted and keep a licence the shop has to maintain a certain standard. there is a pet shop near me which had a complaint put in about it. standards have improved a bit but its still not great. i won't buy anything from them as i refuse to fund them. i'd rather pay that bit more and go to p@h at least their accomidation is clean and of reasonable size.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  20:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh and i forgot to mention the other thing that annoyed me when i walked in today, there were 2 members of staff that were playing card games on the computer, i was just thinking why don't u go clean out the animals rather than sitting there on the computer! idiots, that really made me angry i felt like shouting at them.

Thanku very much for ur responses i will definately be making a complaint x

1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  20:07:19  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that is unnaceptable!!

Make sure you get your facts 100% spot on to give you the best chance of something being done xx

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx

Edited by - ScalySituation on 13/03/2012 20:07:59
Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  20:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yea i will i might even discreetly make a note of the temps and stuff on the reptiles

1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  20:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 local shops and the staff in both are constantly doing something, there is always someone cleaning, spraying, cleaning the glass, feeding the hatchlings, etc, I dont think I've ever seen anyone stood idle. The places are always immaculate too, you maybe see the odd freshly laid bottom sausage but nothing that ever looks like its laid for any length of time.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  01:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know if it improves

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  07:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's terrible! at least my local shop is very good clean viv's for everything, friendly people that give you loads of info and nice animals
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  16:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is so awful :(

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  17:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you actually spoken to the staff regarding your observations?

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  18:16:19  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Okeetee Mick

Have you actually spoken to the staff regarding your observations?

No I havn't do u think i should?

1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
Go to Top of Page

madmartyn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  18:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my beardy,s viv is minimum 27degrees at the cool end (that is the temp they need to digest food) and 30-31 at the hot end with basking light.

0.1.0 Okeetee/caramel thumper
0.1.0 bearded dragon izzie
0.1.0 bci lola
0.0.1 hypno toad (albino horned toad)
0.1.0 king dr lecter
Go to Top of Page

Lili
Snake Mite

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  01:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probably wouldn't hurt to talk to a manager or supervisor especially if you are going to file a formal complaint somewhere, that way it looks like you've done your homework on the situation

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  12:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

To be perfectly honest yes I do, if you're that concerned about the animals welfare and thinking of making a formal complaint to the local council I would certainly speak to the staff regarding the situation. If you don't like the answers given inform them of your intentions.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)

Edited by - Okeetee Mick on 15/03/2012 12:28:44
Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  23:14:48  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is a good idea actually I think I will have a word with them and see whaat they say, I know where to go if I need to make a complaint now if i have to. I think they are having a re furb soon i read somewhere so i wonder if things will change along with that. Thanks for the advice guys as always =]

1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000