New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  11:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friend would like to own a rattlesnake (don't ask why, because I don't know) but I do know you need a licence. You can apply for this online but what I (well, he) would like to know is what you need to do. Like any enclosure requirements, insurances etc would need to be in place first? I think this is a bad idea as he has never owned any reptile before! BUT, knowledge is knowledge and all advice is appreciated. At least this way he can make a somewhat informed decision!

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  11:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first thing, im pretty sure he needs to have a mentor (although im not 100%) and get experience with venomous reps. It isnt as easy as just applying and getting he need to research what his local authorities requirements are for obtaining the DWA Licence.

If hes never had experience with snakes before i would suggest he gets experience with non hots first to get used to snakes.

Go to Top of Page

madmartyn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  12:03:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
couple of snipets of info

Licences are renewable annually. We will arrange for the premises to be inspected by a veterinary surgeon to ensure accommodation is suitable for welfare of animals. The licence will be issued subject to compliance with licence conditions and payment of the licence fee.

Before you apply for a licence you must ensure you:

are over 18 years of age
own and possess, or propose to own and possess, all of the animals that are to be included on the licence, unless there are circumstances which Waverley Borough Council consider exceptional
have considered these important guidelines.

0.1.0 Okeetee/caramel thumper
0.1.0 bearded dragon izzie
0.1.0 bci lola
0.0.1 hypno toad (albino horned toad)
0.1.0 king dr lecter
Go to Top of Page

madmartyn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  12:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and from another site

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/dwa-species/124942-how-get-dwa-license.html

Admin note: text removed and link added, if copying from other sites please add where the info comes from this saves any hassles for the site owner trying to explain why we have cut and pasted from their sites, also is polite to let the originator of the text have the credit.

0.1.0 Okeetee/caramel thumper
0.1.0 bearded dragon izzie
0.1.0 bci lola
0.0.1 hypno toad (albino horned toad)
0.1.0 king dr lecter
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  19:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just for noseyness sake did a bit of research on what is required in my area (Belfast, Northern Ireland), the requirements here are;

*A dedicated totally escape proof room with a locking door with a window in to see in before opening the door.
*A telephone in the room with a script on the wall to inform the emergency services all the information they need.
*A locking vivarium or cabinet to house RUBs etc.
*A veterinary inspection to inspect the entire setup.
*A council inspection.
*The local Police have to be informed of the animals location (and if they are been moved the exact route and destination).
*Proof you are an experienced venomous snake handler (mentor recommendation).

That's just the beginnings of the hoops you need to jump through not to mention yo also need gonads the size of space hoppers and a slight death wish.

I'd personally recommend your friend has a go handling a hostile false water cobra to get an idea of just how aggressive a snake can be, and a bite from one wont kill you.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  22:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a snake owner you could hardly condone your friend even considering that lol. Having never had a snake before its utter madness!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog

Edited by - Katie.Dublin on 13/03/2012 22:11:25
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  22:46:28  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He probably wants to look on rfuk, I'm sure there will be a few people there that can answer his questions. Think there are some general base lines and then a few little details that vairy by council. Not sure why he would want one though, it's just a glorified dangerous ornament lol. Sure to add a few mythical inches to your man hood though lol

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 13/03/2012 22:47:08
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  22:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mythical inches. HAHA a blue pill with fangs.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  00:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is just one of those really awkward blokes, has few friends so tries to hard and tries to be 'cool' ( the guy is 36!) if you bought a cat, he'd buy a lion type guy. Me and my OH have told him he's *silly*, but at least if we have some information and he does decide to go ahead with this glorified penis pump, he will have an idea of what to expect! We told him to just buy a new car but ya know...!!

Thanks everybody :)

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  00:17:17  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah I know the type of guy you mean serena...maybe a biggish boa would be a better than a dwa animal though? Or even better a hognose, they are venomous and have a kinda hood... they are kinda deformed shoelace cobras I guess lol. I'm sure a smaller snake would make the ladies gather round him and say "awww"

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 14/03/2012 00:17:53
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  17:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love snakes and all things snakey. Tell him to watch a few old Steve Irwin episodes. There are a few where he gets "tagged" by some pretty nasty snakes. Or to watch some of the experts on discovery channels. Few concerns for him..
1. If you watch discovery you will see experts with years and years and years...... of experience gettin bitten.
2. Steve Irwin got bitten a few times on his shows.
3. Look on youtube http://youtu.be/0AQ1wlxwW2M this is austin stevens another snake expert getting bitten.
4. watch this one and wait for the price of treatment at the end. http://youtu.be/EpcDZbXslfw (snake bite caught on camera if link does not work)
5. You will get bit coz we all do. But last time I checked my local hospital was all out of rattle snake anti venom. Got all the others. Not.

Not trying to put your friend off but if the experts who have been doing it for years can get bitten what chance does he have???????????????????????????????
Erm NONE.
Also look on youtube and look at snakebyte tv their are loads of videos from them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000