New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  00:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading the care guide i quite liked the idea on there of useing astroturf as a substrate,mainly because it would be less messy to deal with and easier to spot places that needed a clean up than useing aspen.

However while searching the Surrey pet supplies website i came across cage carpets http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/zoo-med-repti-cage-carpet-40-gal-cc-40.html

These seem better than the astroturf as they absorb.

Am thinking of getting several so they can be cleaned in the washing machine and always have clean dry ones available,and changing them weekly.

Just wondered if anyone else has used this method of substrate?

And will my snake be as happy not being able to burrow?

Cheers peeps

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  00:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At £10 per pop you could get a ton of aspen for several of these.

Spot cleaning on aspen or beech isn't particularly messy. One or two kitchen roll sheets, scoop and done with no more than a handful of soiled substrate used. Most Corns like the option to burrow.

I don't really see any advantage of using this cage carpet.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  01:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy
At £10 per pop you could get a ton of aspen for several of these. Spot cleaning on aspen or beech isn't particularly messy. One or two kitchen roll sheets, scoop and done with no more than a handful of soiled substrate used. Most Corns like the option to burrow. I don't really see any advantage of using this cage carpet.

Yes mate,it would be dearer for sure.
The thing is,ive had her for 10 days now and yet to find any wee or poop yet to clear up.
Am not sure how you find the wee even if she does go, as it must be the same colour as the aspen lol.
And i have Aspen all over the carpet which is a pain to keep clearing up.
Id defently prefere this option to keep sanitation but as you say,not at the detriment of her burrowing enjoyment.....hmmmm...what to do
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  07:48:22  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I haven't used it but I did think about it, trouble is it would probably need to go in a wash by itself or in the sink and some people say that after a while, the edges curl up? Guess you'd have to replace every year or something. It probably is a lot better than atroturf.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  16:35:41  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i use this stuff for my leo is is great! although i prefer aspen for my snakes. just seems more appropriate! its quite tough so i would imagine it to be a bit rough on a small snakes belly!

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Leopard gecko (Meg)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons
Wish list - Chinese water dragon, Tegu! Rainbow boa!

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  18:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've got 8 on cage carpet, once it's been washed its a lot softer and it drys really quickly. you can easliy cut it to shape too. don't know how good it will be in a full size viv though. am not keen on the look of aspen but then i am a bit weird!!

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  19:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your handy advice guys :-)
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  20:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeing them burrow is good though. Mine spend loads of time burying themselves so i guess it makes them feel secure.

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  22:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ratty

The thing is,ive had her for 10 days now and yet to find any wee or poop yet to clear up.

This is why it is recommended that any new snakes be kept on kitchen roll for a few weeks so you can confirm they are eating and pooping fine. If its a hatchling good luck finding the poop, its tiny and dries very quickly, you may notice a tiny black spot on a piece of aspen or a white powdery substance on your hands as you search the aspen, that all you get out of a hatchling, you'll not miss it when they are older though.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  22:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by Ratty

This is why it is recommended that any new snakes be kept on kitchen roll for a few weeks so you can confirm they are eating and pooping fine. If its a hatchling good luck finding the poop, its tiny and dries very quickly, you may notice a tiny black spot on a piece of aspen or a white powdery substance on your hands as you search the aspen, that all you get out of a hatchling, you'll not miss it when they are older though.

Ive been told she's a year old.
Im guessing she's about 18-24 inches long.....bit hard to tell when she's belting around the whole time and makeing strange shapes lol
So i should be seeing something by now yeah?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000