i've got eggs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tnymac
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  16:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted last week about my male being upset. Today my "male" laid eggs SHE is under 300g & i have the incubator ready but she wont let go of them. any advice will be appreciated.

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  17:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
she was obviously in with another snake in your care then? You will know the whole debate about cohabiting... this is another danger of doing so... incorrectly sexed snakes. Being that shes UNDER 300g shes very lucky to not have been eggbound. Hope both she and the eggs are ok xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  17:26:20  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It may be that she hasn't finished laying yet. When did she start laying? It might be better to leave her alone until one of the more experienced keepers can offer advice. How much under 300g is she and when did you last weigh her?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  19:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much under 300 Grams is she? Just keep in mind its 300+ grams before you even consider breeding them not a gravid weight.

How many eggs have you got so far and what colour are they? If you have this snake in with any others they need separating immediately as a male will still try and mate with a female snake and this will stress her out.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

tnymac
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  20:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she was sold to me as a male & my male was sold as a female. I have about 8-10 eggs there white, but there all stuck together & i cant lift them out
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  11:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so you were sold them as a male and a female?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  13:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you were planning this breeding (which you shouldn't have been they are underweight) then the eggs sound fertile, they will be stuck together you have to lift the whole clutch out without turning them.

If you dont have anything special in the mix, bare in mind that the babies will cost you about 20-30 times more to keep and feed etc than you will make selling them. My honest opinion is there are already far too many corn snakes on the market and if it was me I'd give the eggs a good shake and stick them in the freezer and stop them ever developing.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  13:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to decide if you are prepared to cover the cost of the snakes. They will need to be fed and kept for a while before they can be sold and then there may be vet bills for any sick babies.

You also need to decide if you are able to sell them as the market is pretty saturated at the moment.

Let us know what you decide and you will be advised accordingly. Good luck

Go to Top of Page

tnymac
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  17:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you every one. i have bred bearded dragons, i am aware of the cost of theses babies & i have done my research, but i have to say this forum has help more than other pages. there is always someone willing to share their experience & now, i know
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  18:24:21  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you felt your female to make sure that she hasn't got any eggs left? If she has finished laying then you need to try and get some weight on her again in case she double clutches but only start with a small meal to start off with. Also be aware that laying eggs too young can also cause health issues and stunted growth.

I hope your female will be ok and that its a lesson to anyone that, even with snakes that have been probed, you can never be certain and cohabbing young snakes is never a good idea

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  20:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can def say that it does stop your snakes groth i got a corn from a friend that was told it was a male (she got it from a shop) so i got it hom put it in with my boys and 4 months later he layed eggs i never keep them but she was only between 100g and 200g and only about 2.5 foot long and she has neve got much bigger she in now just hitting 3ft and is only about 280g and is now going to be 5 in july so she is quite small and all cos she had eggs at a much to small state hope your girl does ok and recovers well i know not all have probs with there corns having eggs to soon but im def leaving mine till they hit the 3,3,3 state xx

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly