Is Tripod verging on obese?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  18:32:25  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I have been advised that Tripod is verging on obese on another gecko forum. Can I please have your opinions.

Age 7 months.
Male.
Length 8.5 inch
Weight 72 grams.
Feeding schedule 1 mealie and 2 silkies per day, calcium with D3 and vitamins every other day (mealie only) and pure calcium in the viv 24/7

Photos and weight taken 3 nights ago.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  18:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
silk worms do have quite a high fat content, not overly sure on nutritional value of a mealie but compared to some leopard geckos he does seem well proportioned but i wouldnt say obese, maybe cutting out on the silks may help

Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  18:50:03  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rake I was told to feed the silkies instead of the mealies as they are lower in fat and higher in calcium so now I am confused.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  19:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for this Ozziesmum, Mrs T is fairly similiar though not so "chunky" (sorry Tripod !) around her head - last weigh in she was 63gs. have to say Tripod looks a very contented chap, he is more brightly coloured than Mrs T too.

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  20:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well iam no expert, but even though i think he is a little chunky, he lookes sooooooo much better than when you first got him, just look at his smile lol

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  20:08:40  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ah thanks scottishbluebird you've just made my night :)

Jane.

Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  20:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ozziesmum

Thanks Rake I was told to feed the silkies instead of the mealies as they are lower in fat and higher in calcium so now I am confused.

i think it depends on the source you read for nutritional value as it vary's on opinion and diet of feeder insect, but he looks a happy enough chappie, if your overly worried maybe try a slightly more active feeder insect every now and then so he has to work a bit harder for his food (put them in fridge first to slow them right down so its a even field)
my beardie was a right lazy one would only feed if offered on a spoon lol

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  01:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I've seen all sorts of different nutritional ratings for live food but its all circumstantial, for instance I have my own colonies of feeder insects, they are fed on a diet of calcium, protein jelly, vitamin jelly, fresh fruit and veg, bug grub, dog biscuits, left over Crested Gecko Diet, honey, bee pollen, the list is endless, they eat better than I do so they will have far more nutrients, vitamins, minerals, fat and protein content than the mass produced store bought stuff.

I would avoid wax worms and other moth/caterpillar based wormage as they store a lot of fat, drop to mini meal worms, and drop a cricket size. Does the lack of foot slow him down any, maybe needs a bit more exercise. I give my crestie wax moths (I have a ready supply out of the colony), they fly just off the ground and they really give him a good run around before he gets his treat.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  08:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't know but he looks great

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  14:25:00  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies,

lotabob, his missing foot certainly slows him down but doesn't stop him altogether, he's out and about every evening for a couple of hours wandering about and climbing, it's quite sad watching him climb as he doesn't seem to realise he has a little foot missing and will spend 2 or 3 minutes trying to get up onto something before he gives up and uses his left leg. Because he's a bit slower than normal fast moving prey is a non starter as it shoots past him and hides before he's even off the starting block bless him.

He's only been on the 3 items a day rule for a few days so I will weigh him again next weekend and if he's stayed the same weight or just put a little bit of weight on I'll adjust his diet to smaller items, I've got my first lot of mealies just coming up to mini size so I can start feeding those instead of the shop bought regular ones. I have tried crickets now on 5 separate occasions but he's still not having any of it. I've still got a tub of wax worms in the fridge so I will let them pupate and turn into months and try him on those as well.

Many thanks.

Jane.

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  14:30:12  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
heehee he does look a little chubby for his age.. and as far as I remember that is a large amount of G for his age. But he is a stunner

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  15:49:03  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mamma, perhaps I ought to get him a hamster wheel for a bit more exercise bless him. On a serious note if his weight has stabilised by next weekend I shall feel much happier if not it's going to have to be a further reduction and then he definitely won't be speaking to me.

Jane.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  17:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried Dubia Roaches? They aren't massively fast. Only bad thing about them is they are a pig to calcium dust. They cant climb smooth surfaces at all so a fairly shallow dish will keep them contained too.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000