Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  12:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do our snakes see the world?

I've read that some snakes see in fuzzy B&W, where as others can see a bit more sharply with some colour...

Do any of your corns/rat snakes have issues with seeing? Aparrently the burrowing type of snakes have poor vision yet ours seem to notice anything and everything!

I know this is a random thing but I've just been thinking about it and now I want to know!

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  12:19:32  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if snakes on a plane is anything to go by they see in green.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  12:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With their eyes.

I don't think anyone actually knows. would be interesting to find out though.

Corns aren't natural burrowers there is one snake, I think it's just called the Blind snake.. lives 99.9% of it's life underground a bit like a mole though.

Edited by - hillzi on 19/02/2012 12:46:38
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  13:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that some reps can see into the UVA spectrum, so I think their colour vision is shifted slightly to the left (smaller wavelengths)... Whether this applies to corns or not I dont know

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  13:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
if snakes on a plane is anything to go by they see in green

I don't think snakes on a plane is anything to go by at all!
I've heard some snakes can detect heat but i'm not sure this appliesto corns
Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  13:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

With their eyes.

I'd figured that much, lol.

I just find it mad how nobodt knows for certain how they see, yet can tell us how things such as flies can!

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  14:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptillian23

quote:
if snakes on a plane is anything to go by they see in green

I don't think snakes on a plane is anything to go by at all!
I've heard some snakes can detect heat but i'm not sure this appliesto corns

Not sure about that, mine certainly see a warm fuzzie far quicker than one that has gone cold.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  14:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I'm going to be a nerd. I have read that a snake retina has the rods and cones required to see B&W in low light conditions and colour in light conditions. They also have the Tapetum Lucidium at the back of the retina to reflect the light back onto the retina for increased low light vision (Tapetum Lucidium is the shiny bit in the eye that ruins loads of pictures of them when the flash gives them robot eyes). I have shined a bright pin point of light into Spot vivarium and he followed the dot of light, he absolutely could see it and was interested in it, i've done this with the Boa who is absolutely mesmerised by moving light.

I love watching their eyes and they move around opening and closing the pupil and also focusing on things so I do believe their vision is actually very good. Some better than others as my Boa will respond to the sight of me from across a room but with the corn I need to be a bit closer.

Oh and corn snakes do not have the ability to 'see' heat. Most Boas can and most Pythons have very obvious heat pits on their nose.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 19/02/2012 15:00:43
Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  14:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All is interesting! And we all love a nerd, without them we'd not have this info!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  15:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

OK I'm going to be a nerd. I have read that a snake retina has the rods and cones required to see B&W in low light conditions and colour in light conditions. They also have the Tapetum Lucidium at the back of the retina to reflect the light back onto the retina for increased low light vision (Tapetum Lucidium is the shiny bit in the eye that ruins loads of pictures of them when the flash gives them robot eyes). I have shined a bright pin point of light into Spot vivarium and he followed the dot of light, he absolutely could see it and was interested in it, i've done this with the Boa who is absolutely mesmerised by moving light.

I love watching their eyes and they move around opening and closing the pupil and also focusing on things so I do believe their vision is actually very good. Some better than others as my Boa will respond to the sight of me from across a room but with the corn I need to be a bit closer.

Oh and corn snakes do not have the ability to 'see' heat. Most Boas can and most Pythons have very obvious heat pits on their nose.

good post that, with regards to heat, pythons and some boas can, specifically emerald tree boas, cooks and amazon, i think thats about it, probably other tree boas i dont know about.
Others include rattlesnakes and other pit vipers.
Their ability to sense heat is very sensitive, certainly with rattle snakes they can detect about 1/1000 of a degree change.

This does not apply in any way shape or form to cornsnakes, they cannot sense heat in the slightest.

Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  16:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
see this forum is brilliant thank you to the "nerds" who i think are actually very interesting, you learn new stuff everyday !

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  17:32:41  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great thread

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000