New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cerian.abbott
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  16:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I have a 9 month old corn snake (about 15 inches), the last two feeds he has vomited the food back up, I feed him a pinky when when he started his shedding cycle (which I now see I shouldn't have) and he vomited it up part digested 3 days later. I left him to shed for a week and he did a complete shed perfectly. I got told he should be on fluffys by now, so I feed him a fluffy a day after his shed (he has Never had anything bigger than a pinky) he ate it fine but once again 3 days later he's vomited it up part disgested. He's well In him self, no breathing problems, no mites no abrasions to mouth and consented tounge flicker and bright eyed. I just wanted it know what's best to do, shall I wait 10days to re-feed (so he rebuilds his stomic acids) and should ikeep him on pinkys a bit longer? Any advice will be a help
Thanks Ceri

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  16:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definately wait the ten days before trying to feed again, leave the snake quiet with no handling, just do water changes. I would go back to pinkies for a few feeds and build up to fuzzies by feeding two pinkies for a while.
Others will ask you for details of your snakes enclosure, how it is heated, the temperature at both the hot and cool sides, how the temp is monitored and whether a thermostat is used.
I am only giving information I have gained from off here, you will get advice from more experienced keepers than myself.
I hope all goes well when you feed again

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

Cerian.abbott
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  17:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I will leave him for 10 days.

He's got a small wooden varrium with glass top and side. With two vents at either side. He has a hide at both hot and cold side and a suitable sized water bowl at the cold end. The hot end is about 30 degrees and cold end 20 degrees and I use a theromstat.
He has newspaper with aspen bedding on top, and cleaned out each month with spot cleaning inbetween. He is feed in a small tub with newspaper (so not to digest the bedding) the. I place him back in his varrium. Lastly he deficates weekly so thats all ok.

I'm just a little worried that he won't have had a full feed for a month (by the time 10 days has passed) will this harm him?
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  17:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its fine to miss a feed or two, you will find that its more odd to get a snake that feeds weekly without fail than one that misses one or two. I would feed one pinky 10 days after regurge, provide some extra cover in the viv so she can go around unseen and only go for water changes. If you can get some reptoboost that would help also. Have you always kept the hot end at 30, and do both your therostat probe and thermometer probe both touch in the center of the heat mat, touching the heat mat?

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  17:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your set up sounds fine and temps ok, people on here seem to reccommend digital thermometers as they are more accurate, so may ask what type you use.
Your snake should be fine for that length of time without feeding, people may ask if you know the weight of your snake and if you have any foliage in the viv to add extra 'security' for the snake.
There is a good sticky on here about regurgitation, would probably be worth reading.
My little amel stripe had a couple of regurges, he/she only weighed 7g and went down to 5g, I was worried but all is ok and back on track now.
At 9months old your snake is probably of a greater weight than mine and will cope without feeding for a month without weight loss, try not to worry.
Also a big welcome to the forum :)

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

Cerian.abbott
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  18:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I got him a 2 months ago and got his feeding history from hatching. He has feed every week except these last feeds. I will weigh him after his 10days of peace.
I use 2 digital thermometers at either side and the thermostat prob it placed on the heat mat under the aspen bedding on the newspaper. And the thermometers probs are just placed of the aspen bedding

And thank you for replying quickly and thanks for the welcome :) x
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  18:22:29  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd say maybe he would benefit from the warm end temp being lowered about two degrees :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Cerian.abbott
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  18:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I will drop it to about 28 degrees then :) and see how it goes, i have noticed he's spending more time in his cold hide since the vomiting.
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  18:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the heat mat is under newspaper under aspen and the thermomoter is on top and its reading 30 it may be hotter underneath. I would put at elasticband around the stat and therm probes so they are together and put them directly on the mat and see how it reads after about 20 mins. But other than that I cannot thibk of anything, could just be due to the double feed. Stay at one for a few more feeds and see how it goes.

I bought a glue gun from b and q and I glue my probes to the bottom of my viv on the mat. It just pops off and you can reglue it. X

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  23:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would address the probe placement issue and get the hot end better controlled but I think the problem you have had is the regurge during the shed (which isn't unheard of) and then instead of waiting a bit for the stomach to settle you've fed a bigger meal and its just not been ready for digestion, it may have even coped with a smaller meal. Wait for 10 days until you feed again and then drop to the smallest pinky you have and work up over the next few feeds to the more appropriately sized mice.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000