Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  19:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys.

Thinking about getting a new pet, and s much as id love a new snake, there completly of limits :( anyways I was looking up hedgehogs and there ssooooo cuteee!! Lol and I was wondering if anyone here could give me some info? Iknow theres someone on here that has loads of em, just cant remember the username :/ any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

1.0.0 corn snake - Flicka
1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  19:32:45  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
its angriesthehedgehog who has bowt 15 of em lol :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  19:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh thanks lol. Do you know if shes still here?

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  19:43:46  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not on atm but if you put a topic out titled FAO angriesthehedgehod, that should do the trick ;)

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  19:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But if shes not here she wont see it XD

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  19:52:34  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he's around a lot, just not right now, could be on in a few minutes

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  19:53:08  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've kept African Pygmy hedgehogs for around 5yrs now and, up until a year or so ago, I used to breed them. I don't breed any more but I still keep them as pets and have 5 of them at the moment.

Here's my website-

http://thistle-hedgehogs.webs.com/

I tried to be as comprehensive as I could in the care sections, but if you have any more questions then I'd be happy to answer them.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  19:54:26  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry thistle would have told hannah to look out for you but i didnt realise you were a hoggie :)

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  20:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh thank you soo much thistle! Just one quick question, do you think they make good pets?

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  20:23:31  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They make great pets for the right person. As I say on my website, they can be grumpy sods sometimes, huffing and swearing at you, but I love that about them. They are also nocturnal, mine generally don't get up until 11/12 o'clock at night, and run on their wheels most of the night which can be pretty noisy if your not used to it. I've got all 5 of mine in my bedroom and, even though I got 'silent' wheels shipped over from America, they are not that silent. Lol. But I guess I'm used to it and it really doesn't bother me.

I think they are fantastic little animals and wouldn't be without them, they are just so full of character.

0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  20:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, see my only problem is time. I used to keep a pair of rats when I was 11 and got bored of them real quick. Off course im only 4 years older but that makes all the difference and im much more mature when It comes to my pets. But im just not sure if id have enough time to do every thing for them. I dont want to get a pet then neglect it, I adore animals and would never dream of doing it Intentionally. I love my snakes because of the low mantince, but really miss a little furry thing with more character, you know? Should I ditch the idea and be better off without, I really do like them, im just not too sure wether id get bored

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  20:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not of the pet itself, just the care required.

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  20:56:04  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To be honest if you think there is a chance that you will get bored of taking care of them then they are probably not the pet for you.

I wouldn't say they are high maintenance but they need a lot more than a snake or even a hamster. They need fresh food and water daily, their diet is mainly chicken based dried cat food, but you should also supplement with insects (mealworms, beetles, crickets, etc) and try things like cooked veg, scrambled egg, chicken, etc. You need to clean their 12" wheels and the paper or litter tray under them daily as they tend to go to the toilet as they run and their poo is nothing like rat poo I can tell you. Lol. The wheels are generally pretty manky in the mornings. The rest of the cage should be cleaned out at least once a week.

Edited by - thistle on 12/02/2012 20:57:54
Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  21:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I would be alot better at taking care of them, im just basing it on past experience. I was quite young when I had my rats, and so my attention span was short lol. I really like them, and not just because there cute. I like the sound of there attitudes and personalitys. The only really big thing that would turn me off them is if they wouldnt want to cuddle. I know that most wont, but I herd if you tire them out and cover them they sometimes sleep and cuddle with you. Is that true? What do you think?

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  22:37:33  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't exactly call them cuddly pets. I've got one who will lay spread out on me and enjoys being stroked down her nose, but the others don't. Mostly when they are out they want to explore and run around, my lots favourite game is either chasing the dogs around the room or finding new smells on the floor to anoint over. Lol. But if they're not in the mood to come out of their cage then they turn in to a huffing, popping *****ly ball and trust me you wouldn't want to cuddle up to that.

They are a pet that you do need to put the time in to keep them social. You can't just ignore them for weeks on end (though still cleaning them out and feeding them) and expect them to be friendly.

Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  11:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know of any rescue or breeders that would let me handle one and see the care required in Essex, southend? Are there many in the uk?

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  11:53:16  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know, but you could try asking on the uk pygmy hog forum, I've not been on it for years, but I think it's still a fairly busy forum. Hopefully there'll be someone close to you who could help.

http://www.pygmyhogsuk.com/forum

Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  12:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for all your help and Ill be signing up to the forum right now :)

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  12:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a shame, it seems as though there hardly any activity on there, ill try anyways

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  11:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hannah, if you want cuddliness have you thought about guinea pigs? They're sort of like a non-spiky hoggie, and would be quieter, easier to feed, and less hassle to clean up after (dry pellet type poos)they're also VERY into cuddles and attention and fuss, esp if you only have one... it will follow you about and shout at you for food/attention

just a thought

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  10:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that guinea pigs may be better suited to you. My kids adore our pigs. My daughter aged 11 gets them out everyday and snuggles them like little babies.
They are active in the day,when it comes to food time they squeak their little heads off,popcorn (funny little jumps) when happy and talk to you while you cuddle them. I'd personally recommend a pair though as they are social little animals and would be lonely when you weren't about. My pair cuddle up to each other,its so cute.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000